Going the extra mile

Sometimes it’s worth going the extra mile to find something to do. If you’re trying to get out of Dodge and explore the land beyond the boundaries of Tucson, here are a few events you can escape to.

1. Halloween Howl at Colossal Cave

Colossal Cave hosts candlelight ghost tours and haunted hayrides this weekend from 5 to 9 p.m. The cave will celebrate the upcoming haunted holiday with jumping castles, a maze, pony rides, petting zoos and food. If you happen to be bored Friday or Saturday, make the journey up to Colossal Cave for some Halloween fun.

2. Arizona State Fair

Until Nov. 11, the Arizona State Fair is back in Phoenix. This weekend, the fair will feature Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, The Wanted, and Prince Royce. On Sunday, the Arizona State Fair 5K Fun Run & Walk will take to the streets. Amusement rides and fatty french fries that are sure to cause heart failure are reasons alone to make the drive out to Phoenix this weekend. Admission is $10 for adults and parking fees range from $5 to $20.

3. Marana Pumpkin Patch and Farm Festival

Only about a half hour north of Tucson, Marana will host festivities such as petting zoos, corn mazes, and pig races throughout the month of October. From Monday through Friday, tickets are only $10 per person, and $12 on Saturdays and Sundays. Admission tickets will also buy you one free pumpkin, for those looking to deck out their back patios with glowing pumpkins and kegs for the upcoming Halloweekend.

4. Helldorado Days

If you have a thing for disgruntled cowboys and guns, head out to Tombstone today for Helldorado Days. Beginning in 1929, Helldorado is celebrating 84 years as the oldest festival the dusty town knows.