Updated: ASUA approves election code changes

The ASUA Senate approved changes in the enforcement of elections code violations during its meeting Tuesday.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Elections Code’s stance on disciplinary action changed from an 11 strike system to a warning system with a maximum of three strikes before a candidate is disqualified. The senate also voted to allot an extra $100 to the maximum campaigning budget and to remove candidate slates.

The removal of candidate slates, proposed by Sen. Danielle Dobrusin, was approved unanimously. ASUA decided to allow slates last semester, and let candidates pool resources and combine campaign materials, but at the cost of sharing the repercussions of violations. Last semester’s election featured two major slates, Team Red and Team Green. Senators said they thought candidates running under these slates caused problems last year so they decided to get rid of them all together.

Sen. Erik Lundstrom said he still thinks there should have been language added into the code that more properly addressed how much power the elections commissioner, Mikindra Morin, has. Lundstrom said the changes, which were motivated in part by last semester’s drawn-out presidential election, were not justified. Last semester’s commissioner, Michael Colletti, suspended both Allen and his opponent, Daniel Hernandez, from the general election and fought against their claims in the ASUA Supreme Court.

Despite the long debate about some of the new changes at the last senate meeting on Nov. 16, changes to the the elections code were approved within 15 minutes.

Editor’s Note: Originally, this article stated that current ASUA President James Allen, Executive Vice President Bryan Ponton and Administrative Vice President Brett Ponton were all part of the Team Green slate. This is in error. Though all three candidates ran as a slate, it was different from Team Green. The Wildcat regrets the error.