University of Arizona employee stabbed in Student Union

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

An employee of the Student Union Memorial Center is being treated with non-life threatening injuries after being attacked and stabbed at the student union this morning around 8 a.m. 

University of Arizona Police Department received a call at 8:10 a.m. from the victim, reporting they had been attacked inside the Student Union Memorial Center while walking through the building after locating two college-age males in a locked room. It is unclear why the suspects were there or what caused the aggravated assault. 

RELATED: Campus reentry update: task force discusses early detection of potential outbreak in Likins dorm

According to the UAPD press release, the suspects attacked the victim with an unspecified “edged weapon” and then fled the scene. UAPD officers responded to find the victim was injured, but alert and conscious. They were transported to Banner University Medical Center — Tucson to be treated for the injury. The union was cleared for regular business, but UAPD is still investigating the incident.

According to the UAPD press release and UAlerts, the suspects have yet to be identified or located. One suspect is specified to have blonde hair wearing a red shirt and basketball shorts. The other suspect only has a clothing description of a gray tank/muscle shirt and joggers. 

Both were both college-age, white males. UAPD is asking anyone to come forward with information regarding these suspects or the incident itself. You can reach UAPD at 520-621-8273, or call anonymously into the tip line at 520-621-TIPS (8477). 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter