Police Beat: Nov. 17

Intoxicated man tries to rush Pi Kappa Alpha

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house on Nov. 6 at 1:56 a.m. in reference to a report of an intoxicated man trying to gain access to the premises.

Upon arrival, officers met with a fraternity member who told them that they had called the police because an unidentified man had been banging on the windows of the house and trying to get on the roof of the building. The member told police that the man was able to climb onto the roof and was currently throwing miscellaneous objects into a courtyard near the front entrance. The member further told police that the man was not a member and had not been invited to the house.

Officers made contact with the unknown man and ordered him off of the roof. The man told police that he liked fraternities and had been invited to the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house. Officer asked the man if he knew what fraternity house he was at and he stated that he did not. According to police, the man had bloodshot eyes and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke. He gave police several different names and dates of birth, all of which returned no valid matches.

Four fraternity members present at the time told police that they wished to press charges against the man. Because the man repeatedly gave police birth dates that would have made him under the age of 21, he was cited on charges of minor in possession. He was also cited on charges of criminal trespassing, false reporting to a law enforcement officer and four counts of disorderly conduct. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

How many warnings does it take to get arrested? Three.

UAPD officers responded to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall on Nov. 6 at 2 a.m. in reference to a male resident disturbing the peace. Upon arrival, officers could hear yelling coming from the courtyard as they met with a resident assistant. The RA told them that an intoxicated man was in a hallway, screaming profanities and breaking bottles. The RA told police that she advised the man to stop disturbing the peace, but he refused.

When the RA led police to the floor where the man had been screaming, they observed a broken Jack Daniel’s bottle on the floor. They contacted the man, who identified himself with a Washington state driver’s license.

He had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke. He was also incoherent during police questioning.

Officers informed the man that in lieu of arrest, the incident would be referred to the Dean of Students Office. Officers then advised the man to return to his room to go to sleep, which he agreed to do. As officers were in the parking lot preparing to leave the residence hall, they observed the man exit the dorm and begin incoherently screaming. Officers contacted the man again and advised him to return to his room, which he did, escorted by an RA.

Several minutes later, the RA called police to report that the man was outside again causing problems. Officers contacted the man again and placed him in handcuffs. Two RA’s filled out voluntary statements confirming that the man’s behavior was unreasonable. He was then cited on two counts of disturbing the peace and one count of minor in possession. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Blundering boy burgles ‘blue book’ and pen

UAPD officers went to the UofA Bookstore in the Student Union Memorial Center on Nov. 6 at 9:53 a.m. in reference to a report of shoplifting. Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who told them that they had observed a man enter the bookstore empty handed, and exit the store without paying for several items. The employee further stated that they had followed the man out of the store and all the way to the Modern Languages building before losing sight of him.

The employee showed the surveillance video to police. Watching the video, police observed as the man picked up an examination “”blue book,”” removed a single pen from a package displayed for sale and then exited the store, passing all points of sale and failing to pay for any of the items in his possession. Using the surveillance video, employees identified a second man who was seen associating with the shoplifting suspect.

Employees contacted that man and he provided employees with a name and address of the shoplifting suspect. Bookstore employees were able to contact the alleged shoplifter and escort him back to the bookstore. According to police, the man admitted to taking the “”blue book”” and claimed that he should have paid for it but just didn’t. He also stated that taking the pen had been another stupid decision, but told police that he needed the items for an upcoming examination that he was running late for. He was cited on charges of shoplifting and released on the scene.