UA’s inflated parking-spot prices are not what they seem

Angela Martinez

Parking and Transportation Services building on Tuesday, Feb. 13 at the University of Arizona, in Tucson, Arizona. 

A false rumor that Parking and Transportation is selling parking spots for a price of $50,000 during football games has been circulating around campus recently. 

Parking and Transportation has confirmed they are not selling parking spots, but instead are working with the athletics department to provide benefits to those who donate to UA Athletic Programs. 

Suzanne Affeldt, the assistant athletics director, helped clarify the situation. 

“No one is selling parking spaces. That is completely false. Parking spaces are given to those who donate $1,000 or more and have season tickets,” Affeldt said. “These parking spaces are only reserved for donors during games and remain unreserved after the games are no longer in session.” 

Arizona Athletics has a list of all the benefits potential donors may receive posted on wildcatclub.org under the benefits tab. 

RELATED: Drive, bike or ride: UA transportation guide

Smaller donations of $100 or more allow donors to become a Wildcat Club member, which includes perks such as window decals, tax deduction, exclusive access to the Wildcat Club store and much more. 

Along with all the benefits from the lower tiers, donors who pledge more will receive items such as luggage tags, specialty items and getting level recognition in men’s football and basketball programs as well as a message board. Tiers above the $2,500 mark include privileges like Dunlap stadium club wristbands, though the number of wristbands varies by donation amount, they include chances to attend both men’s basketball and football team trips and a private events with head coaches and the director of athletics.  

Other benefits provided for all donors include having the first opportunity to request postseason tickets as well as the ability to purchase a tailgating pass. 

RELATED: Guest column: Campus parking poses financial burdens, health risks

Arizona Athletics pays PTS to provide donors who pledge $1,000 or more with a complimentary parking space during basketball and football games. Parking and Transportation does offer reserved parking to those who pledge $20,000 or more. 

Affeldt also commented on why Arizona Athletics decided to provide donors with benefits. 

“We want to show our appreciation for our donors, so that’s why Athletics decides to provide benefits to them,” Affeldt said. “To receive any of the benefits listed above, one must donate to the Arizona Athletics department, either directly to the capital donation fund, which goes toward maintaining facilities and improving them for future use, or to a specific sport of your choosing.”

For more information about donating to the Athletics Department, visit wildcatclub.org or call 520-621-CLUB.

Follow Connor Fries on Twitter