High press key for Arizona in 4-0 trouncing of UC Irvine

Caleb Villegas
Wildcats pumping each other up with a group huddle before the game against Oklahoma on Friday, Sept 6 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was 2-0 win.

Arizona women’s soccer started fast, intense and never let up in its 4-0 victory over the UC Irvine Anteaters. The ‘Cats dominated the run of play from the opening whistle, scoring 3 goals in the first nine minutes. Arizona also maintained their streak of not conceding a goal at now four games, five including their opening friendly.

The scoring started in the second minute when Jada Talley saw Brooke Wilson making a back-post run. Talley floated a ball behind the Anteater back line onto Wilson’s foot, allowing Wilson to chip the keeper with ease.

“I saw her making the back-post run,” Talley said postgame. “And that’s a really easy ball for me to play. Like, I’ve been playing it since club. That’s one of the balls I was taught to play — the second runner, not the first. And Brooke is always making runs for me. That’s why I have a couple of assists this year.”

Just four minutes later, Talley caused more trouble for the Anteaters. She forced a turnover at the top of the UCI 18-yard box and found Jill Aguilera. Aguilera took a touch and, with her second, found the back of the net.

Four minutes after Arizona scored to double their lead, they were at it again. After a slide tackle, Iyana Zimmerman found the ball at her feet. She put a ball over the top and found Talley, who tucked it home for the first time.

After Arizona scored their third goal, the game slowed down. For the first ten minutes, UCI tried to play out of the back but were stifled by Arizona’s high pressure. 

After Arizona’s third goal, UCI played more directly, playing over the press rather than through it. This caused a bit of a problem for the ’Cats because they struggled to find quality shots when building from the back, rather than from a forced turnover.

Arizona’s fourth and final goal was an incredible individual effort from freshman Madison Goerlinger. She blocked a shot in Arizona’s box and immediately made herself available as an outlet. Wilson sent Goerlinger through the backline, and Goerlinger beat the keeper far-post for her second goal of the season.

Arizona women’s soccer will travel to Santa Clara to play the Broncos for their next match on Friday, Aug. 13 at 7:30 p.m. Santa Clara received votes in the last United Soccer Coaches poll, but it will take place on Friday the 13th — so who knows?

Follow Max Cohen on Twitter.