Track and field’s Ross and Young break own school records

Arizona track and field competed in a two-day meet at New Mexico’s Albuquerque Convention Center, where Nick Ross and Jordan Young each broke their own school records at the New Mexico Cherry & Silver Invitational.

In the men’s high jump competition, senior Nick Ross broke his own school record; he cleared 7-7 (2.31m) and took first place. Ross set the previous school record of 7-6.5 (2.30m) on Jan. 17, in Flagstaff. Ross’ mark is currently No. 1 in the country.

“It’s nice to be consistent, especially at 2.30m, which is a pretty big landmark,” Ross said in a press release. “It was nice to set a personal record today and jump 2.31m.”

Freshman Jordan Young set another school record in the men’s weight throw by beating his own school record of 69-2.75 (21.10m) set on Jan. 17 in Flagstaff. He posted a mark of 69-11.75 (21.33m).

Young’s toss ranks No. 5 in the country and was good for first place overall.

“Like I said before, it’s a really big eye-opener to what I can accomplish in my collegiate career,” Young said in a press release. “It feels good, it’s nice seeing the ball get out to around the same distance every throw and knowing that any throw could be the next school record. That’s what I’m aiming for.”

Senior Shapri Romero clocked a personal-best time of 53.11 in the 400-meter sprint. Romero’s time was good for first place overall in the seeded section and is currently ranked with the No. 2 time in the country this year. In the 200-meter dash, Romero clocked a time of 23.93 in the 200-meter dash, which was good for fifth place overall. That stands as the No. 22 time in the country this year and is the second-best time of Romero’s indoor career.

Freshman Miles Parish came into the season with high expectations as he clocked a personal-best time of 47.02 in the 400-meter sprint. He finished in third place in heat two of the seeded section. While in the men’s 600-meter run, Parish clocked a time of 1:19.91, which was good for a second-place finish overall.

In the women’s shot put competition, senior Alyssa Hasslen won with a toss of 54-10 (16.71m). While on the men’s side, freshman Aaron Castle finished in third place overall and posted a personal-best toss of 60-11.50 (18.58m).

In the men’s triple jump competition, junior Jovon Cunningham earned a third-place finish — posting a personal-best mark of 52-2.5 (15.91m), just off the school record mark of 52-3.75 (15.94m).

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, sophomore Nnenya Hailey, freshman Jasper Gray, senior Tamara Pridgett and Romero ran a season-best time of 3:39.71. That time earned the quartet second place overall.

This weekend, the Wildcats will travel to Seattle, Wash., to compete in the University of Washington Invitational (Indoor).

—Follow Zoe Wolkowitz @Zowolko