Police Beat: January 18

Domino effect

A five-car accident occurred near Sixth Street and Highland Avenue at 9:24 a.m. on Jan. 15.

The chain incident was initiated by a rear end collision in the turning lane, which turned into a sequence of rear end accidents for the other involved cars. Tailgating was believed to be a factor in the event, according to the University of Arizona Police Department report.

The vehicle, which began the domino of collisions showed damages consistent of a car traveling 30 mph. The car experienced damage to the front bumper, hood and side fender, multiple fluid leaks and internal engine damage.

The other four cars experienced bent to broken back bumpers, minor paint transfer, in addition to three of them displaying damage to the front grill.

No driver’s reported any injuries at the scene.

Guess who?

UAPD responded to a UA male employee at the Flandrau Planetarium, in regards to a $774.88 unauthorized expense on a purchase card from Dec. 18, 2012.

Police met with the man at 10:15 a.m. on Jan. 15, who said the unauthorized funds were sent to Sprint Wireless. The purchase card, which has five authorized users, is in the name of Flandrau Science Center. The reporting employee consulted with all five of the employees, none of whom had any knowledge of the purchase.

The worker said the card is secured in his desk, and he locks the room whenever he is not present.

There were no prior incidents involving the card, which has since been destroyed as of Jan. 14. The center was issued a new card and there are currently no suspects.

Lost and found

Numerous found property occurrences were reported at the Student Recreation Center at 1:48 p.m. on Jan. 15. UAPD met with a female student employee of the Rec Center to have several items provided.

The first item was a Bank of America debit card issued to a UA student. The next was a Wells Fargo Platinum visa card also belonging to a UA student.

An expired international student identification help card was also found for a UA male student, who employees were unable to contact.

Furthermore, a pair of golden costume earrings with little pearls, a black and charcoal cellphone, a black Casio watch and a pewter colored Fossil watch was found. Owners for these items were unknown and all have been placed into UAPD Property and Evidence.