Police Beat: February 1

Bottle it up

Two UA students were cited and released at Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall stemming from an incident involving marijuana at 8:49 p.m. on Jan. 29.

The University of Arizona Police Department dispatched to the dorm in reference to a reported smell of marijuana. Police located and entered the room following permission from both students.

The two subjects denied any presence of marijuana in the room.

When police asked to search the area, one student replied, “Yes,” while the other asked, “Do you have too?”

An officer told the student it wasn’t obligatory, to which the student then responded, “I’d rather you not.”

UAPD searched the other student’s possessions who permitted an inspection of his belongings, where they found drug paraphernalia.

Police located a water bottle stuffed with dryer sheets, which is commonly used as a filter to blow smoke into.

The student was then read his Miranda Rights, and said the bottle was “to mask the smell of marijuana smoke.”

The student admitted to smoking at 7 p.m., which the officer responded if he had any additional paraphernalia that the student hand it over then if he wanted to receive a single charge of multiple paraphernalia, rather then multiple charges if additional items were found.

The student then handed over 0.2 grams worth of marijuana from a desk drawer. He was cited and released for both the paraphernalia and the possession of marijuana. Additionally, UAPD found rolling papers, a glass pipe and a grey metal grinder belonging to the other student in the drawer of a desk, which were sent into UAPD as evidence. The pipe and grinder were sent to Department of Public Safety crime lab for analysis.

Go on, take the money and run

A Tomdra Inc. Vending Company employee reported a vending machine had been broken into in a pavilion on the east side of the Education building at 7:03 a.m. on Jan. 29.

UAPD responded to the larceny call and spoke with a Tomdra supervisor regarding the incident, which occurred between 5 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. he said.

Three vending machine’s validation boxes, where money is collected, were damaged and their cases stolen. The amount taken from the machines was unknown, however each box was valued at $200 and would take approximately $600 to fix, according to the employee.

There are currently no suspects or witnesses for the incident and the company will pursue charges if someone is found responsible, the employee said. Pictures of the damage were taken and the officer provided the employee a victim’s rights for the company.