Denver rockers follow in Jay-Z’s footsteps at UA

Denver rockers follow in Jay-Zs footsteps at UA

ASUA is back with another concert tonight from the Grammy Award-winning band The Fray.

After last April’s Jay-Z fiasco (see “”Concert loses almost $1 million,”” Arizona Daily Wildcat, May 6, 2009) the UA’s student government seems to have decided it would be wise to team up with UApresents and provide a more affordable and less extravagant concert. The Fray, a Denver-based band formed in 2002 by schoolmates Isaac Slade and Joe King, will perform at 8 p.m.

Spawning from jam sessions, The Fray rocketed to Billboard Chart success with their wildly popular debut album How to Save a Life in 2005. Songs like “”Over My Head (Cable Car)”” and “”How to Save a Life”” raced to the top of the charts and quickly became embedded into pop/rock minds across the nation.

With the promotion of these catchy songs on television shows like “”Scrubs”” and “”Grey’s Anatomy”” throughout 2006, The Fray catapulted into pop-culture icon status. Since then the band has continued its success with its latest album, simply titled The Fray, which was released in February.

With a little help from iTunes downloads, The Fray gained much attention despite the band’s hiatus for the last four years. Its resurgence proved the band’s ability to crank out more than a few hits off a single album.

Given The Fray’s growing success, one can hope its appearance draws a better crowd than last semester’s Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, The Veronicas and Third Eye Blind financial disaster. Hopefully the band will not make absurd dressing room requests, either — which last year included several food items and a plethora of liquids ranging from Fiji Water to hot tea.

Luckily, ASUA is giving students and faculty a discount on tickets and providing a venue that offers a respite from the November chill. The Fray is sure to heat up the evening with its crowd-appeasing songs and wholesome demeanor.

The Fray plays tonight at 8 p.m. at Centennial Hall. Admission: UA students/faculty/staff $40, $30, $20; general admission $45, $35, $25.