Club Sports Notebook: Men’s soccer drops match against ASU

Courtesy of ArizonaMensSoccer.com

Courtesy of ArizonaMensSoccer.com

The UA men’s soccer club team was successfully making its way through the season, until the team fell to major opponent and rival ASU, which was its first loss of the season. The Wildcats weren’t able to find the back of the net, and fell to ASU 2-0, dropping their record to 3-1.

The 90-minute match was very fast paced. Both teams maintained equal possession throughout the entire game. ASU scored early in the tenth minute off of free kick. However, the momentum of the game remained even as the two teams battled toward halftime.

The Wildcats came back fighting after the half with several attempts on goal. Senna de la Cruz attempted a header that sailed just over the goal and Lalo Miranda made another attempt, chipping the crossbar.

The momentum shifted when the Wildcats received a red card in the 30th minute. ASU capitalized on the penalty kick and made the score 2-0.

The Sun Devils had an advantage over the Wildcats following the red card and penalty goal. The red card also made it so the Wildcats had to play with one less player. The second half led to more Sun Devil momentum.

“Second half was the same; they had more players but we didn’t have a choice but to play with everything we got,” Zach Shakur said.

The Wildcats will play ASU again Oct. 9 at Sitton Field. Looking forward to the next game, the players are concentrating on practicing hard, learning from their mistakes and having crowd support for their future game against ASU.

Follow Gia Trevisan on Twitter.