“Spring break sends students to gym, salons”

Kelly Fast, a freshman majoring in physiology and special education, jogs on the treadmill at the Student Recreation Center yesterday afternoon. As spring break approaches students are flocking to the gym to get ready for some fun in the sun.

With spring break and swimsuit season around the corner, students are flocking to the gym, tanning salons and day spas in pursuit of toned physiques and exotic tans.

The Student Recreation Center is in the midst of its busy season as students head to the gym weeks before spring break to get in shape and drop unwanted pounds before they hit the pool and beaches.

Tanning salons and spas around the university area are also seeing an increase in business from college age clients preparing to go on vacation.

According to Rec Center records, the average attendance at the Rec Center during the first three days of February from 5 p.m. until closing, the Rec’s busiest hours, was 428. The average attendance in the first three days of March during the same hours was 846.

The Rec Center’s busiest hours are between 5 p.m. and closing.

Often times the rush to get fit results in longer lines, more exercise machines and courts being taken, and more equipment getting checked out.

“”The lines are starting to get really frustrating this time of year,”” said Jeff Serber, a pre-law junior. “”Unless you show up early in the day, you’re going to have to wait at some point during your workout.””

Serber said he waits in line when entering the gym, entering the weight room and renting equipment from the Pro Shop.

Tanning salons around the university area are also benefiting from the race to get tan as pool parties around college apartment complexes begin to take place.

“”We’ve definitely noticed a big increase in college age clients coming in the past few weeks,”” said Jamila Pierce, an undeclared freshman who works at Hollywood Tans on North Park Avenue. “”People come in waves of five or ten after they get out of class about every hour.””

Pierce said it is possible to get a deep tan in as little as two to three sessions, so it’s never too late for those looking to add some color or tone to their complexion before spring break.

“”Going out to get a tan is just too time consuming,”” said undeclared freshman Zack Noren. “”You can’t even tell the difference between fake tans and real ones.””

Noren said he won’t be anywhere tropical for spring break but that he still wants a tan for pool party season.

Hair salons around campus are also getting busy this time of year.

“”Next week will be one of the busiest weeks of the year,”” said Janet Roths, an employee at Great Clips in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“”Since spring break is also the week before Easter we’ll be even more busy than usual, but it’ll really die down after that,”” she said.

Roths said Great Clips is already feeling the surge, and so far the most popular choice is a buzz cut.

Not everyone will be heading to the beaches for spring break, however, as many students plan to spend the time visiting family or heading to less sunny locations.

Bryan Hench, a junior majoring in ecology and evolutionary biology, said he plans on hiking in the mountains during spring break and that he doesn’t buy into the tanning salon craze.

“”The sun is the only thing that should be tanning people,”” he said.