Police Beat: March 10

Run away boy

A UA student was caught jumping the fence of the First Street KinderCare learning center on March 1 at 7:35 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a report of a suspicious man seen jumping the fence at Kindercare.

When the officer tried to approach the man he went off running. As the officer chased him through campus he said multiple times, “Stop! Police!” However, the man didn’t stop.

The officer called for backup and the man was finally caught near the Old Chemistry building and identified as a UA student.

The student said he didn’t know what the officers were talking about when they explained why he was being detained. The student said he was just trying to exercise.

The student denied jumping the fence and said that the gates to KinderCare were unlocked. The officers informed the student that the KinderCare fence was locked.

A Code of Conduct form was completed for the student.

But it’s raining

A UA student was cited for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on March 1 at 12:05 p.m.

Bookstore security placed a student in custody for shoplifting around 11:52 a.m. A UAPD officer reported to the room where the student was being held and spoke with her about the incident.

The student was asked to explain what happened.

“It was raining outside so I came to the bookstore to see if they had a bandanna for sale,” she said. “I came into the bookstore and saw that they did not have any bandannas. I saw the black headband on the shelf. I noticed I did not have my wallet so I just took the item.”

The officer asked if her intention was to come into the bookstore to steal and she said no, she just didn’t have her wallet.

The student was then cited for shoplifting and a Code of Conduct form was submitted to the Dean of Students Office.

Fireball does it

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking on March 1 at 1:30 a.m..

UAPD officers patrolling around Second Street saw a student being held up next to a garbage can by his friend.

The student appeared to have red, watery eyes and was surrounded by vomit. The officers were informed that he was taking shots of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky at a party.

Officers tried to ask the student questions but he was unable to answer because he vomited as soon as he began to speak.

The student was cleared by paramedics and his friend took him home. A Code of Conduct form was completed and sent to the Dean of Students Office.