Arizona soccer hires new assistant coach Nagy

Arizona soccer head coach Tony Amato announced his first hire to the coaching staff, the program announced on Tuesday.

Paul Nagy, hired as an assistant coach, joins the Wildcats from Stephen F. Austin University (SFA) in Texas where he spent three seasons on Amato’s staff.

“Paul Nagy is a great addition to our staff and our program,” Amato said in a press release. “He is a great coach and recruiter and brings a lot of experience to our team. I know he’s excited to join the Arizona family and we’re thrilled to have him.”

Nagy, a Grapevine, Texas native, graduated with honors in 2002 from Saint Louis University where he was a four-year letterman on the men’s soccer team as a goalkeeper. While playing there, he earned first-team All-Conference USA and all-region honors in 1999.

After competing collegiately, Nagy played professionally with the Dallas Burn (MLS), Syracuse Salty Dogs (A-League), Hershey Wildcats (A-League) and Orlando Sharks (MISL).

Nagy’s collegiate coaching resumé started as a volunteer goalkeeping coach at Texas Christian University, Saint Louis University and LeMoyne College, before being hired as an assistant coach at University of Central Florida.

At UCF, Nagy spent two seasons coaching goalkeepers before being promoted to the top assistant’s position and also becoming the recruiting coordinator.

After UCF, Nagy brought his assistant coaching and recruiting talents to Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla. During his time there, he helped Rollins to a Sunshine State Conference Championship in 2009 and earn a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

At SFA, Nagy oversaw the defense and goalkeepers and was part of a coaching staff that helped lead the Ladyjacks’ to a 17-4-0 overall record and advance to the NCAA tournament in 2012.

In 2011, the Ladyjacks’ squad went 15-3-1 and earned a Southland Conference regular-season title.

“I am thrilled to be a part of the coaching staff here at the University of Arizona,” Nagy said in the press release. “I want to thank Tony for this wonderful opportunity and I’m excited for the future of this program.”