New Rec Center flooded

The Student Recreation Center’s expansion was closed on Sunday due to flooding.

Heavy rainfall and construction most likely contributed to the flood, said Vincent House, an undecided junior and employee of the Pro Shop in the Rec Center.

According to the Rec Center’s Web site, “”The Expansion weight room, MAC gym and Outdoor Adventures will be closed until further notice due to a mechanical failure.””

“”It wasn’t the electrical room, it was the steam room, the basement,”” said a representative from UA Facilities Management. “”The electrical room is upstairs and the basement is where the mechanical stuff is, and it’s where the pumps are.””

A Rec Center employee called UA Facilities Management at 12:30 p.m.

“”The air wasn’t coming on and some of the machines and televisions weren’t turning on or working and the lights weren’t coming on,”” House said.

Approximately seven general maintenance mechanics spent six hours pumping water from the expansion’s basement.

“”Oh yeah, it was a lot of work,”” the representative said.

The damage could not be determined by press time.

“”I’d say (the water) was about five-and-a-half feet deep,”” the representative said. “”The room is probably about 10-by-20 feet.””

The expansion was closed since opening at noon, but the original facilities remained open to the public.

“”People can still work out,”” House said. “”There are ellipticals and treadmills, basketball courts, racquetball courts are open and (the) pool still open, table tennis and the track in the gym is open.””

Some students went home after seeing the expansion was closed.

“”I went to the gym around 7 and there was a big sign that said ‘Closed,’ and the entire new part was closed so I went home,”” said pre-engineering junior Oscar Galvan.

Other students modified their work out routines.

“”Lots of people have been doing other stuff they might not normally do,”” House said. “”Lots of people using racquetball courts, lots of people using the track. You see lots of people leave, but lots of people are also trying different activities.””

The estimated cost of damage and repairs could not be determined at press time because Rec Center officials could not be reached.