Eat your heart out

When planning for Valentine’s Day, the first thing that comes to mind isn’t Cupid, cards, hearts, flowers or even chocolate; it’s food. This holiday for lovers and would-be lovers would be incomplete without a fancy meal. Here are some tasty places to charm your Valentine’s palate.

BREAKFAST

Bobo’s

Bobo’s is a Tucson favorite serving breakfast daily from 5:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. offering all the breakfast staples of a traditional diner. Reasonably priced but oftentimes busy, Bobo’s is perfect for Valentine’s Day breakfast. Their huge chocolate chip pancakes are an excellent start to a lovely day.

2938 E. Grant Rd.
    (520) 326-6163

Daily 5:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Jerry Bob’s

With several locations around town, Jerry Bob’s is another Tucson staple. Jerry Bobs’ quick, inexpensive and delicious breakfasts are worth looking into. Jerry Bob’s offers solid-sized portions at reasonable prices and is well known for its cinnamon raisin toast and breakfast specials.

5028 E. Broadway Blvd.

520) 326-0301

Daily 5:30 a.m.- 2 p.m.

Ghini’s French Caffe

Tucked in a small plaza north of Prince Road and Campbell Avenue, Ghini’s is a modest cafe that is idealfor a relaxing Valentine’s Day breakfast. Omelettes and crepes, sweet and savory, dominate the menu but for a lighter and classic French pairing, there is the café au lait with either a croissant or baguette from the La Baguette bakery.

1803 E. Prince Rd.
    (520) 326-9095
    Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Sunday 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.

LUNCH

Lovin’ Spoonfuls

The sole vegan restaurant on this list, Lovin’ Spoonfuls serves light fare that acts as a perfect prelude to a night of Dionysian dining. There are no Valentine’s Day specials, but the regular lunch menu is enough to satisfy anyone’s green tongue. Dining is casual and the lovely wooden interior inviting. No reservations needed.

1865 E. River Rd.
    (520) 299-7799
    Sunday to Thursday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
    Friday to Saturday 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.

Café Jasper

Hidden in the Foothills near La Encantada, Café Jasper is a great lunch spot. Their homemade prickly pear limeade and chorizo make this little spot a hidden gem. Although often busy and only open until 2 p.m., Jasper’s atmosphere is relaxed and quiet – perfect for a lover’s lunch.

6370 N. Campbell Ave. # 160
    (520) 577-0326
    Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 a.m. – 2 p.m

Zinburger

Zinburger is offering a great deal for Valentine’s Day eats. For $20 a person you’ll get a burger, one side, a salad, a glass of wine and dessert.

1865 E. River Rd.
    (520) 299-7799
    Sunday to Thursday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
    Friday to Saturday 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.

DINNER

Fox Concept Restaurants: North, Wildflower, Montana Avenue

Each of Tucson’s Fox Concept Restaurants is offering a tantalizing 3-course prix fixe menu. For $50 a person at North and Wildflower and $40 per person at Montana Avenue, you and your date can indulge in a luxurious pre-selected menu. If money is a concern, each place offers early bird specials from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. which is nearly half the price per person. North’s contemporary Italian food is a great choice for the big night out, but if American fare is more your style, check out the modern twist of Wildflower or the rustic feel of Montana Avenue. Be sure to call ahead for reservations.

North
    2995 E. Skyline Dr.
    (520) 299-1600

Wildflower
    7037 N. Oracle Road
    (520) 219-4230

Montana Avenue
    6390 E. Grant Rd.
    (520) 298-2020
    www.foxrc.com

Feast

Feast is offering a four-course prix fixe menu and taking reservations, both a rarity for this catering restaurant. Among the menu selections are grilled brioche with ricotta, mascarpone, prosciutto and smoked golden raisins; roasted lamb loin with a garlic-chestnut turnover and sautéed kale; and a Coeur á la crÇùme with raspberry coulis (think cheesecake filling surrounded by raspberry sauce). Each course comes with suggested wines to complement the flavors. $65 per person, $25 for accompanying wine.

4122 E. Speedway Blvd.
    Tuesday to Sunday 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    (520) 326-6500
    www.eatatfeast.com

The Blue Willow Restaurant

With the numerous accolades for its breakfast menu, it is easy to overlook Blue Willow’s dinner menu. This would be a mistake since it will be offering Valentine’s Day venturers dinner specials that include brie with candied walnuts and lavosh crackers, baked salmon en croute, English cut prime rib and a chocolate cake with strawberry cream. Reservations are recommended but not necessary, as the restaurant will also accept walk-ins.

2616 N. Campbell Ave.
    (520) 327-7577
    www.bluewillowtucson.com
    Monday to Friday 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.

AFTER DINNER

Something Sweet Dessert Lounge

Something Sweet is offering a Valentine tart along with its regular menu of sweet treats for this day of love and romance. Laidback is the keyword here: there are board games, free Wi-Fi and bestselling novels for perusal. The late hours also make this a perfect place for a break after the holiday’s activities. Reservations are highly recommended. Tables will be held for 15 minutes only. Take-out is an option to consider for those who don’t want to dine in.

5319 E. Speedway Blvd.
    (520) 881-7735
    Monday to Thursday 5 p.m. – 12 a.m.
    Friday & Saturday 5 p.m. – 2 a.m., Sunday 3 p.m.-12 a.m.

The B Line

For those who want a quality dessert without the wait or the high restaurant prices, consider The B Line. Its sweets include a four-berry pie, flourless chocolate pecan cookies, strawberry shortcake and slices of semifreddo ice cream. The B Line’s conveniently close location to the UA campus makes it a good choice for a last-minute Valentine’s Day dessert stop.

621 N. Fourth Ave.
    (520) 882-7575
    Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
    Sunday 7:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
    www.blinerestaurant.com