5 track and field Wildcats sent to 3 different meets

Senior distance runner, Jen Bergman, qualified for her first NCAA Indoor Championships after competing in Seattle, Wash. this weekend.

In a last attempt to qualify for the upcoming championships, the No. 13 women’s squad sent 5 athletes to 3 different meets.

At the UW Final Qualifier, Bergman competed in the 5,000-meter. Her personal-best time of 15:55.60 earned her the 12th-best time in the nation. Sophomore Nicci Corbin also competed in Seattle in the mile. Her personal-best time of 4:39.47 ranks as 28th in the country.

Junior sprinter, Shapri Romero competed in Fayetteville, Ark. at the Arkansas Final Qualifier. In the 400-meter run, she clocked a personal-best time of 53.26, which now sits in the No. 21 spot in the nation.

Two throwers competed in Ames, Iowa at the Iowa State Final Qualifier. Senior Taylor Freeman posted a 60-10.5 in the weight throw, which was the first time in seven meets that she didn’t throw a personal-best mark. In the shot put competition, sophomore Baillie Gibson threw a 54-2.

Bergman was the only athlete out of the five who competed to qualify for the championships. Per the NCAA manual, the top 16 student-athletes in the nation for each event qualify. For relay teams, the top 12 qualify.