Showcase your talents…or embarrass yourself

The English Department wants to know who’s got talent and who wants to embarrass themselves.

The first annual English Department talent show will take place this Friday, April 17, from 5-7 p.m. at the Poetry Center.

The show will include students – graduates and undergraduates – faculty, staff and alumni from the English Department.

To state the obvious, many students associated with the English Department have interest outside of memorizing “”Beowulf.”” The talent show will give students and faculty the opportunity to display their interests including, but not limited to, reciting original and published poetry, musical performances, dancing, sharing short stories, comedy acts and the display of paintings.

“”I will be reciting the poem, ‘Jabberwocky,’ by Lewis Carroll,”” said Matt Rotando, a Graduate Advising Associate.

The event originated with Bridget Radcliff, the Senior Academic Advisor in the English Department.

“”One day in February we were talking with a student about his band and then we started talking about all of the other students who have such outstanding talents,”” said Radcliff.ÿ””We decided we needed a talent show to showcase all the wonderful people in the English Department.””

The event is dedicated to Professor Peter Wild, who passed away from cancer on February 23, 2009. Wild was a faculty member at UA for almost 40 years.

A tribute to Wild will be presented by Professor Steve Orlen.

“”The talent show will be a refreshingly festive atmosphere during a difficult time,”” said Rotando.

The showcase is meant to display a variety of talent within the department by giving recognition to all of the hidden abilities students and faculty members do not often display within the classroom. However, some of the performances will be given for the sake of humor.

“”The audience should expect some talent and in some cases, no talent at all,”” said Jason Brown, Director of Undergraduate Studies in the English Department. “”Hopefully, if there is no talent you can laugh with the people.””

Faculty members who have already signed up for the event include Brown, Orlen and Rotando.

“”I’m looking forward to seeing some of our very straight laced students and faculty letting their freak flags fly,”” said Rotando.