Guide for students

Balancing classes, homework, friends and football is hard enough through the semester. But with Family Weekend looming on the horizon, adding parents to that schedule may prove to be a bit much.

Parents can ask some stress-inducing questions: Where are we going? What are we going to do? When do I meet your friends? Whose empty bottle of Jack Daniel’s is this? To help alleviate at least one of these conundrums, we have developed a plan for Saturday that will ensure your parents have a good time and spare you from a headache.

Competition!*
    There are many things to do to get the blood and the competitive juices flowing for an eventful day. For a quick, fun time the Student Recreation Center has several tournaments planned.

“”They are geared to be mother-daughter, you know, parent and a child,”” said Pete Pereira, senior coordinator of campus activities. Events include basketball and racquetball in a competitive and recreational division.

Admission – $5 per person. Starts 9 a.m. at the Rec Center.

Legacy Lunch*
    For second generation UA students there will be a luncheon at the Student Union Memorial Center’s South Ballroom. The Alumni and Parents Association designed the event so parents could take UA lapel pins and, ceremoniously, pass them to their children – current UA students.

Price – $20 each person. 11 a.m. – noon in the Student Union Memorial Center, South Ballroom.

Tailgating!
    Tailgating could be one of the best ways to give your parents a feeling of what fall Saturdays are like on campus.

“”My folks would love to go to the tailgate party. I’m not sure if they’re going to come down, but that’s one thing for sure we’re gong to do if they do. There’s food, music, all to get ready for the game,”” said journalism senior Chad Roy.

With the different personalities as well as events to see while tailgating, parents may just want to stay an extra week for homecoming.

1 p.m. – 4 p.m. on UA Mall.

The game – Washington vs. UA
    No description of college life would be complete without a home football game.

“”My parents are coming in and the first thing they asked was, ‘Who are we playing?’ It’s that big and it means that much to them,”” said journalism sophomore Victoria Fregoso. “”I think they would be more disappointed if they didn’t see the game than if they didn’t see me.””

4 p.m. in Arizona Stadium.

Family Weekend BBQ*
    Directly after the game, head over to the UA Mall and celebrate with representatives from UA athletics, student athletes, the Pride of Arizona band, Wilbur and Wilma, as well as UA cheerleaders, for an evening-ending barbeque. Entertainment will consist of food, music and giveaways with a fireworks display concluding the evening.