Police Beat: Jan. 20

Parties settle Sixth Street garage collision

A University of Arizona Police department officer was dispatched to the Sixth Street Garage on Jan. 13 in reference to a traffic collision.

A Parking and Transportation Services employee contacted police.

The officer arrived at at 10:51 a.m. to the fourth floor of the garage and spoke with the driver of a red pickup truck with a flat rear passenger side tire.

The driver admitted to taking the turn too tight in the garage and hitting another car on the second floor.

The owner pointed out damage to his car’s front bumper and driver’s side headlight.

The headlight fell off the car after the officer’s inspection.

Both parties were given a copy of the report number and exchanged information.

Guess that’s why they call it window pane

A UAPD officer was called in to the Architecture building on Jan. 13 at 11 a.m.

An architecture employee reported a broken window broken on the building’s north side.

At noon the day before, the window pane was intact.

The officer inspected the damaged 15 feet by 15 feet second floor window, which was shattered from the center.

The damage was estimated around $5,000, and there is no evidence of what broke the window.

The UAPD officer contacted Amer-X Security to obtain surveillance footage for follow up.

There were no suspects or witnesses and victim’s rights paperwork was mailed to the UA.

The window has been boarded until a replacement glass pane is found.

Bike barely safe during break

A male UA student reported an attempted bicycle theft to a UAPD officer on Jan. 13 at 10:15 p.m.

The student said that he had locked his bike to the rack on the east side of Gila Residence Hall on Dec. 15 at approximately 12 p.m.

The student returned from winter break on Jan. 13 at 8:30 p.m. and found a crank-type car jack in a plastic bag wedged into his U-Lock.

The U-Lock was damaged so that the key could no longer turn to open it.

A Parking and Transportation Services employee responded to Gila and cut the lock off the bike using a grinder.

The lock and the bike were valued at $40 and $300, respectively. The car jack was placed into UAPD evidence.

There were no witnesses or suspects of the attempted theft.

A non UA-affiliated man gets booked for a second DUI

A UAPD officer noticed a driver strangely stopped at Campbell Avenue and Sixth Street on Jan. 12 at approximately 2 a.m.

The driver stopped at a red light in the left turn lane with most of his vehicle in the intersection. The officer then stopped the driver for pulling into the wrong lane from a left turn.

The officer asked twice for the driver’s registration and insurance.

A strong alcoholic odor came from the vehicle, and the officer noticed the driver’s red, bloodshot eyes.

A records check on the driver showed a warrant from the Tucson Police Department for driving under the influence.

The officer instructed the driver to step out of the vehicle and asked him how much he had to drink that night.

The driver only admitted to drinking one beer.

The officer then tested the man for driving under the influence.

A breath analysis at the police station showed that the driver had a BAC of .179.

The driver was suspended from driving because of a previous implied consent charge and was cited for aggravated driving under the influence, which is a felony.

The driver was booked into the Pima County Jail for both the aggravated driving under the influence charge and his outstanding Tucson Police Department warrants.