Arizona men’s basketball assistant coach Mark Phelps suspended, pending termination

Jesus Barrera

Sean Miller eyes his players with confusion during Arizona’s 65-55 loss to Wichita State in the NCAA Tournament on March 17, 2016. Assistant coach Mark Phelps (left) and former assistant coach Emanuel “Book” Richardson sit on the bench in the background.

Arizona assistant men’s basketball coach Mark Phelps was placed on administrative leave pending termination on Feb. 5, according to an email sent by Matt Ensor, director of communication services at Arizona Athletics.

“Phelps has been placed on suspension with pay in accordance with university policy,” the statement said. “This personnel action is not related to the federal criminal proceedings in New York or the NCAA’s review of the facts underlying the allegations of unlawful conduct.”

According to Jeff Goodman of Stadium, however, Phelps’ suspension is related to an NCAA issue. In a statement from Alabama attorney Donald Maurice Jackson, the decision is based “an unresolved NCAA matter.” 

Goodman also said there was an issue with Phelps and an online course involving a recruit that did not end up attending Arizona. 

This isn’t the first time Phelps has faced disciplinary action while an assistant for the Wildcats. At the start of the 2018, season Phelps was suspended five days without pay.

This story will be updated.

Follow Alec White on Twitter