Arizona volleyball travels to Utah and Colorado

Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA volleyball vs Stanford on Sept. 28, 2012.

The volleyball team will hit the road for the second week in a row as it takes on Utah on Friday and Colorado on Sunday.

The Buffs are 12-6 this season with conference wins against the Utes and Washington State. Utah is 10-9 overall with a victory against Washington State as well. The Wildcats will take on the Utes on Friday night at 7 p.m. and Colorado on Sunday at 5 p.m.

“The foundation of anyone’s ability to play at this level isn’t talent alone, it’s your ability to put in time worthwhile to perfect those skill sets,” head coach Dave Rubio said.

Arizona comes into the weekend with a 9-8 overall record and a single Pac-12 win over Arizona State.

“I’ve never really been that type of person who is nervous to play just because I really think that it does affect your game,” freshman hitter Halli Amaro said.

Rubio said he felt that, despite getting swept by No. 5 USC and No. 6 UCLA last weekend, the team was finally turning a corner in practice and that it was beginning to show on game days. A five-game losing streak for the Wildcats may have come as a result of the tough opening to the conference schedule.

“Coming into practice, I’m honestly not the most mature person walking in. It takes me more time to catch onto things,” Amaro said. “But when Coach comes right in and goes into stats, and now doing individual technique, it gives me time to focus.”

Two Pac-12 wins on the road will not only boost the Wildcats’ record but also their confidence to continue battling for wins against the most elite volleyball programs in the nation.

“Being unfamiliar with the facilities and the atmosphere is intimidating,” freshman middle blocker Olivia Magill said. “It’s going to be really cold, so not excited about that, but I think it’ll be fun to see new places.”