Arizona women’s cross country wins Grand Canyon Invitational

Arizona’s No. 2 women’s cross-country team won the Grand Canyon University Invitational on Saturday and the unranked men’s team finished in seventh place.

The women earned their third consecutive victory on Saturday by scoring 26 points. Junior Melanie McGrath led the Wildcats in the 5,000-meter race with a first place finish and a time of 18 minutes and 15 seconds. McGrath was also the Wildcats’ top finisher in this year’s George Kyte Classic race in Flagstaff.

Arizona sophomores Kate Penney, Molly Callahan, Hanna Peterson and junior Hannah Moen finished second, third, eighth and 12th respectively.

“I’m really happy with Melanie [McGrath] coming back and running a strong race today,” head coach James Li said in a press release.

“I’m really happy for Kate [Penney] and her running so well. Going there, we wanted to give everyone a chance to race and we did that. We saw progress with some of the ladies and that’s really good.”

Closely following the Wildcats, New Mexico State University claimed second place with 47 points. Cerritos Community College finished in third with 104 points, Arizona State University took fourth place with 104 points and host Grand Canyon University finished in fifth with 116 points.

The unranked Arizona men took seventh place with 179 points (24-29-35-44-47). Sophomore Thomas Valente led the team, finishing in 24th place in the 8,000-meter race and posting a time of 25 minuets and 59 seconds.

Freshman Michael Parkes, freshman Christopher Tansey, sophomore Braden Timpe and junior Kevin Jani finished 29th, 35th, 44th and 47th respectively.

“The guys need some work,” Li said. “I think some of the young guys didn’t approach the race the best possible way. Like I said, everybody gets a chance and hopefully they will learn from this experience.”

New Mexico State University finished in first place in the men’s race with 38 points, Cerritos Community College claimed second place with 57 points, Arizona State University finished in third place with 57 points, Grand Canyon University earned fourth place with 160 points, Northern Arizona University totaled 166 points for fifth place and Arizona Christian University took sixth place with 178 points.