ASUA Notebook 9/8/2021: Senators pass UAZ Divest resolution

%28Illustration+by+Pascal+Albright%29+
(Illustration by Pascal Albright)

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s undergraduate student governing body, met on Wednesday, Sept. 8, to vote on a resolution calling on the UA to fully divest from the fossil fuel industry.

The meeting was called to order at 7:01 p.m. and adjourned at 7:22 p.m. The Senate gathered in the Madera room of the Student Union Memorial Center and over Zoom.

According to ASUA’s post-meeting minutes, two senators were marked absent during roll call: Louise Lalescu, senator for the College of Science, and Swathi Ramkumar, senator for the College of Engineering.

UAZ Divest Resolution

The Senate adopted a resolution sponsored by UAZ Divest, a student-led organization committed to discontinuing the UA’s $64 million investment in the fossil fuel industry.

In a unanimous 9-0 vote, the Senate resolved to call on the leadership of the UA and the UA Foundation – the governing body in charge of the UA’s philanthropic assets – to completely divest endowment funds from the fossil fuel industry by 2025, as well as publicly announce it will not make any new investments in fossil fuels by 2022.

The resolution further called on UA leadership to strengthen “sustainable and socially conscious … investment strategies and partnerships” through a new and distinct “socially responsible investment fund” and the inclusion of student voices in the UA Foundation.

The resolution was based on one passed by the University of Michigan Central Student Government calling on Big 10 universities to commit to climate conscious investments.

RELATED: ASUA: Everything about UA’s student government 

Senate Vacancies

Senate seats are currently vacant for the College of Medicine, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Humanities and the Mel and Enid College of Public Health.

There were no candidates for those positions during student government elections. Applications will be posted on Handshake soon for students within the aforementioned colleges. 

In addition to these positions, the senate is rehiring for the Campus Closet and Volunteer Services Director positions. They are interviewing two candidates and “will be rehired by the beginning of next week,” said Kyle Kline, ASUA administrative vice president. 

Campus Recreation Mask Mandate

As of Tuesday, Sept. 7, face coverings will be required in all Campus Recreation Centers to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Noah Vega, ASUA student body president, reported that there have been incidents of students refusing to wear masks already.

Vega told the Daily Wildcat after the meeting that if students refuse to wear masks, they will be removed from the facility by staff.

Notable Mentions

Starting Oct. 6, the Campus Rec fee will increase for students. Vega said the senate will have the opportunity to speak with Troy Vaughn, director of Campus Recreation, and express concerns about the fee increase during their meeting that day.

Follow Jane Florance and Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter