UA optimistic heading to postseason

Liam Foley/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona Gymcats defeat Brown and Wisconsin-Stout at McKale Center in Tucson, AZ.
    Liam Foley/ Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Gymcats defeat Brown and Wisconsin-Stout at McKale Center in Tucson, AZ.

Numbers are only numbers.

The Arizona gymnastic team has secured its seat in the 2009 South Central Regional competition in Arkansas, and looks to put a season of ups and downs behind it.

“”From a coach’s standpoint, if there are 20 meets on your schedule, you’d like to win all 20. … Have we done that? Not entirely,”” said UA assistant coach John Court, “”But has this been a bad season so far? Absolutely not.””

Although the past season hasn’t been the best for the Gymcats (5-7, 2-4 Pacific 10 Conference) on paper, many aspects of character and sheer integrity have overpowered the wins-loss column.

“”Last season left a real sour taste in the mouth,”” said UA head coach Bill Ryden. “”But the amount of progress we’ve made as a team, and just the growth in maturity have been great this year.””

The team just received word that senior Bree Workman and junior Sarah Tomczyk were named to the All-Pacific 10 Conference First Team. Senior Beamer Bergeson, freshmen Deanna Graham and Rebecca Cardenas were named to the second team. Furthermore, senior Alexis Greene, junior Miranda Russell, Workman and Tomczyk were named to the conference’s All-Academic team.

“”I’m very proud of my girls,”” Ryden said. “”We always aim for excellence everywhere, not just on the mats.

“”We still haven’t hit full potential as a team, and would love to do it at regionals,”” Ryden added. “”But no matter what, this is a year none of us will ever trade or forget.””

Court said he’s never been the type of coach who remembers high points of a season, such as a 9.9 score, but rather the growth of a person, and the adversities his athletes overcome.

“”Take Colleen Fisher, for example,”” Court said. “”Her improvements from freshman year to this year have been magnificent. It’s just great to see her and all the new faces develop in their roles.””

As far as roles go in the final competition, the entire Arizona organization is confident that if individuals fulfill their given jobs, the team has a great chance of coming out on top in Arkansas.

“”This competition will be very close in format to our recent Maryland competition,”” Court said. “”And really, Maryland was flat out awesome for us. With more teams added to the mix, we can really keep our momentum going. We are set on proving to ourselves that we are capable of the gymnastics level we show in practice.””

Any team can have an up or down day in this sport and the Gymcats are hopeful that their day in Arkansas will be an up.

“”It never really matters what the rankings are,”” Bergeson said.”” People will fall; gymnastics is unpredictable like that.

“”We just want to make sure we are hitting, and maybe they’ll fall,”” Bergeson added with a laugh.

The season is still not over, Ryden explained. Arkansas will be the last stand.

“”We’re hoping Fisher can rise to the occasion in All-Around, and that the older girls can showcase their experience,”” Ryden said. “”We don’t really think of anyone as rookies anymore, so the freshmen need to pull through as well.””

If the team can only compete as they’ve practiced all season, this year will not go out in vain by any means whatsoever.

“”At the end of the day, win or lose, we have no reason to look in the mirror and feel bad if we’ve done our job,”” Court said.

Added Bergeson: “”Gymnastics is only one chapter of each of our lives. This is by far the closest team I’ve been a part of, and I’m so happy with the relationships we’ve built.””