Police Beat: Nov. 10

Minor in possession … What else is new?

A man was arrested, cited and released for minor in possession on Friday, at 12:26 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Park Avenue after receiving a reference call of a drunken man knocking on people’s doors. Working with another UAPD officer, he spoke with the drunken man. They had him identify himself, which he did using a California driver’s license. The man had red watery eyes and a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his breath. He would not admit that he was drinking.

The officer cited and released him for minor in possession. A Code of Conduct violation was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.

No boys allowed

An unwanted man was walking around alone in Maricopa Residence Hall, an all-female residence hall where men are not permitted without an escort, until someone reported him to the police on Friday at 3:30 a.m. He was arrested for minor in possession.

A UAPD officer went to the third floor and met with the man, a UA student, in the lounge where a female student was accompanying him. Both of them told the officer that he had been left alone roaming the third floor for a while prior to the officer’s arrival.

Police escorted the man out of the residence hall after the community director advised them that the man had red watery eyes and smelled of alcohol. The student admitted to drinking, but would not say where. He was arrested, cited and released.

I’m fine … just kidding get me an ambulance

A student was arrested for minor in possession on Friday, at 3:10 a.m. He was cited, released and transported to University Medical Center by ambulance for extreme intoxication.

A UAPD officer went to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall and found the student passed out and unresponsive in the fifth floor men’s restroom. A resident assistant in the building had made the call to police and escorted the officer to the restroom. There, they found him standing up over a toilet in a position that suggested he was in the process of vomiting.

The student told the officer he was sorry that he was wasting his time. He said he was OK and did not need paramedics. The officer could smell intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke and he had watery bloodshot eyes.

The officer did a few tests on the man, which showed a positive presence of alcohol. The student said he had been drinking a little bit, but refused to answer questions after he was read his Miranda Rights. The officer then cited and released the student to his roommate.

Ten minutes later, the RA called police back saying that the student was requesting that paramedics come help because he felt very ill. He told the officer his stomach hurt very much and that he had lied to him earlier. He would not specify what he lied about. Tucson Fire Department arrived and advised that the student needed to be transported to UMC for extreme intoxication. An ambulance transported him. A report was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

Shoplifting student arrested after almost beating Bookstore system

A student was arrested for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore on Thursday.

At 9:10 a.m. on Thursday, an officer went to the store and met with an employee from the bookstore’s Loss Prevention team. He gave the officer a DVD copy of surveillance footage from Oct. 4, that shows the man stealing from the store.

On Monday, Oct. 4, at 1:41 p.m., a man was seen replacing a sweater’s price tag (valued at $54.99) with another sweater’s price tag (valued at $26.99). The suspect then bought the sweater paying in cash, which constitutes shoplifting. The bookstore’s staff was unable to apprehend the subject at the time because they did not notice the incident right away. The UAPD officer collected the DVD copy and submitted it as evidence.