Rialto to pay tribute to David Bowie tomorrow night

On Sunday music fans around the world mourned. Legendary musician David Bowie, a prominent icon for over 50 years, died from liver cancer at the age of 69, two days after the release of his newest album, Blackstar. 

Bowie had a huge impact on rock ‘n’ roll music and his alter ego, Ziggy Stardust, became a symbol of the glam-rock era. To many, the man was a hero. His hits such as “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “Space Oddity” and “The Man Who Sold the World” are rock ballads that will never leave the hearts and minds of Bowie’s fans. 

Services and events in memory of the rockstar have been held all over the world in places such as Berlin, Los Angeles and New York. This weekend, Tucson, too, will honor him.

Tonight Territory Magazine and The Rialto Theatre are presenting “Heroes: A Tribute to the Life of David Bowie” to honor his life and legacy. According to the Rialto’s website, “his life needs to be celebrated. Tell everyone. Cancel all other plans.”

If you’re still not sold, the website also says that half-priced drinks are being offered to anyone who dresses like one of Bowie’s various personalities. After all, what better way is there to spend the evening than with an entire group of Ziggy Stardusts? Of course, if you’re not feeling the almighty Ziggy, release your inner Bowie with another one of his classics: Aladdin Sane, Thin White Duke, Pierrot or even Jareth the Goblin King. The list is endless.

This show is going to be a great way to celebrate Bowie and his music, so listen to the Rialto and come join them tonight. It’s a great way to remember Bowie if you were a fan or to introduce new people to his legacy and glorious body of work.

Tickets are $3 for general admission standing room, but there will also be festival seating in the back. Tickets can be purchased online at the Rialto’s website.

So go about your typical Saturday routine in the morning and afternoon then come downtown and celebrate with fellow music lovers in the evening. You’ll be glad you did. The doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Follow Alec Kuehnle on Twitter.