The best of the best

Although Fashion Facts has criticized and scoffed at UA style this past year, it has also featured a variety of looks that we deemed quite impressive.

The archives of the feature’s first year include hipsters who are spotlighted for their innovative looks, local designs shown at fashion happenings around town and student styles that we hope our readers will avoid.

Of those that we featured, however, there are a few standout individuals: people who go against the homogeneous style of campus have defined a unique look for themselves at affordable costs and have a bit of knowledge about style and the fashion industry.

It is our pleasure to present you the best of the best from this year’s Fashion Facts findings.

WHO: Brian Hendricks, a theatre production senior

THE OUTFIT: Shirt: a vintage Yves Saint Laurent find. Pants: Express. Makeshift scarf: material left over from a cut-up T-shirt. Sunglasses: Aldo ($10!).

STYLE ICON: John Galliano of Christian Dior. Not for his style per se, but for the way he mimics his own looks that are shown in fashion shows. “”He’s so silly,”” Hendricks said. “”But I love how seriously he takes it.””

STAPLE PIECE: Skinny jeans. “”Because I am skinny, damn it,”” Hendricks said.

STYLE AESTHETIC: Hendricks said his style can sometimes evoke the look of teen girls during the ’90s. “”I like short shorts,”” he said. “”I think more people should wear them.””

WHO: Colin Dyer, a political science junior

THE OUTFIT: Shirt: an acquirement from a hip-hop, anti-war event at Armory Park. Ralph Lauren jeans.

STYLE ICONS: Kanye West and Jude Law. “”Mos Def is pretty sweet too,”” he said.

WISH LIST ITEMS: Limited-edition shoes designed by artist David Cho. “”I still haven’t found ’em,”” Dyer said.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR UA STYLE: “”Less flip-flops and cargo shorts,”” Dyer said.

WHO: The Ingham Sisters, senior architect student Sarah Ingham and undeclared senior Emily Ingham Willert

THE OUTFITS: Sarah (who was caught by Fashion Facts twice this year) is wearing a top from Forever 21 and Levi’s skinny jeans from Sears. Emily is wearing tailored shorts, also from Forever 21 (one of the girls’ favorite go-to places for super-cheap trendy pieces), and a shirt by H&M, which she found at Buffalo Exchange (or “”The Buff,”” as Sarah calls it). Emily’s turban-style hat is an of-the-moment piece, found on the Prada runways for the fall shows. “”I have ample time to look at Bazaar and Vogue,”” Emily said.

TRICKS OF THE TRADE: Both girls recommend a little modesty when dressing, especially for school. Sarah said her top, for example, is a bit more on the revealing side, but she balances the rest of the outfit by keeping everything else covered up. Emily, who makes it a point not to spend a lot of money on clothes and accessories, goes through her closet to invent new looks without having to buy new things.

A COMPARABLE DUO: They borrow from each other and admire the creativity in each other’s style, but the Ingham sisters have a slightly different take on how they present themselves. Sarah gravitates toward menswear pieces and likes a classic equestrian style. Emily, on the other hand, said she’s more frou-frou and looks for things with a vintage, flapper aesthetic.