Arizona softball team splits weekend series against Oregon Ducks in Eugene

Megan Ewing
Dejah Mulipola, 8, prepares to approach home plate. The Wildcats competed against New Mexico State and won 11-5 in Tucson, Ariz. on Friday, April 9.

The No. 7 ranked Arizona softball team split their weekend series against No. 12 ranked Oregon Ducks this weekend in Eugene, Oregon. After dropping the first two games of the series, Arizona battled back to win the last two. 

Here are some takeaways from the weekend. 

Wildcats were able to make the needed adjustments 

After losing the first game of the series 2-1, Arizona suffered its first shutout loss in 26 games. The last time the Wildcats were shut out was March 13 at Florida State. 

Much like that series, the road troubles were hampering the Wildcats. But in between the first and second games of the doubleheader on Saturday, head coach Mike Candrea was able to make an adjustment and revive his team. 

Arizona went on to take the second half of the doubleheader 4-3 and they returned the favor by shutting out the Ducks in a 2-0 win to close out the series.

RELATED: Flawless defense helps Arizona softball sweep Utah in weekend series

Arizona’s offense still has the power

While the Wildcats’ offense was not the high-scoring unit we have become accustomed to this weekend, they did continue to utilize the long ball. Arizona scored five of its seven runs this series through a homerun. 

Missed opportunities

One of the biggest reasons Arizona did not put up the big-time offensive numbers this weekend was its inability to hit with runners on base. This was shown through its low hit numbers. In the first game, Arizona was limited to one run on two hits. In the second game, they managed to get four hits but they were shut out. Their offense started to get rolling late in the series in each of the last two games the Wildcats got seven hits in route to two wins as well.  

The 35-10 Arizona Wildcats will return home to Hillenbrand Stadium to finish their regular season against UCLA. The first game of the series will begin on Thursday, May 13 at 7 p.m. and will end on Saturday, May 15. 

Follow C.J. Lala on Twitter