Key stats from Arizona baseball’s loss Saturday against Nevada

Ari Koslow

Mac Bingham runs to home plate after tagging from third base on a fly ball. 

The Arizona baseball team fell 2-0 Saturday afternoon against Nevada. Here are a few key stats from the loss. 

Eight innings from starter Garrett Irvin

After a rough first inning where starting pitcher Garrett Irvin walked two batters and allowed 2 runs, he settled in quickly. Irvin went on to complete eight innings, allowing a total of 2 runs on four hits to go along with two strikeouts and two walks while throwing 108 pitches.

Irvin did all he could to try to get Arizona the win.

“You got to be ready the first inning,” Arizona manager Chip Hale said. “Sometimes you’re going to lose 1-0 or 2-0. It doesn’t happen a whole lot in college, but it is a good lesson to be learned.”

Three hits from Wildcat hitters

The Wildcats struggled all afternoon at the plate against Nevada starter Cam Walty, who went the distance in the win. Nik McClaughry, Tanner O’Tremba and Chase Davis picked up the only hits for Arizona against Walty.

RELATED: Key stats from Arizona baseball win Friday against Nevada

15 times Arizona hitters’ at-bats finished in one or two pitches

Part of what allowed Walty to go the distance was how aggressive the Wildcat hitters were early in the counts all afternoon. 

“[Walty] threw a lot of strikes,” O’Tremba said. “And so, I think guys are going to be aggressive. You don’t want to be passive and I think that’s the approach is you try not to change anything. If you get your pitch, you swing.”

“I think later in the game you try to take some pitches if we’re having quick innings, which we did today,” O’Tremba said. “Sometimes it just depends, but I think guys were just getting their pitches and getting their hacks off and that is baseball. It’s going to happen.”

The Wildcats will go for the series win Sunday afternoon with first pitch scheduled for noon MST.

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter