Resolutions mobilize students … for now

Resolutions mobilize students ... for now

Crowds in the Student Recreation Center, carefully organized planners and scribbles over the last zero in 2010 can only mean one thing: the new year is here.

Say hello to New Year’s resolutions.

“”(New Year’s resolutions) are a mainstream thing, and a lot of people feel like they have to do it,”” said Laura Wagner, a geography senior. “”People are very goal-oriented.””

Writing down goals doesn’t necessarily mean success, and many people drop their resolutions as the year progresses and life gets in the way.

“”I usually make generic resolutions, like getting good grades,”” said David Bradford, a pre-physiology freshman. “”I try through the year, and I’m usually pretty successful, but I do forget them.””

In lieu of making resolutions and then failing to keep them, some students just skipped the process altogether.

“”I didn’t make any because I knew that I probably wouldn’t follow them, and with graduating, I don’t know what’s going to happen in my life,”” Wagner said. “”In the past, I’ve tried to improve my attitude and outlook on life.””

Anna Elizondo, an undeclared freshman, agreed that resolutions aren’t always worth it.

“”I just want to go along with life,”” Elizondo said. “”I’ve tried to give up chocolate before, but I don’t want to constrict myself from something I love.””

Others have decided that this is the year to change.

“”I just decided that I was going to get my shit together,”” said Jacob Moeller, a creative writing sophomore. “”I’m going to go to the Rec Center more often and do my homework. Last semester, I got sloppy.””

The bustle at the Rec Center is evidence of the ever-popular resolution to exercise.

“”I didn’t formally make any (resolutions), but there are some things I’d like to do,”” said Beth Sanders, a plant sciences freshman. “”I want to start running or biking. It takes a while to get in the habit, but I just need to be determined.””

Bradford has decided to focus on financial goals this year.

“”I’m going to try and save money,”” he said. “”Last semester, I blew through a lot of money.””

When asked how he would accomplish this, Bradford thought for a moment before responding, “”I’m not going to get drinks at restaurants anymore.””

This is a legitimate idea, but water can get old fast. Resolutions get harder to keep as the days go on.

“”I’ve made it the last few days (keeping my resolutions),”” Moeller said. “”That’s more than I can say about the last few months. I’m still in the attitude that I’m going to do it.””

To those of you with New Year’s resolutions: good luck. We’ll be seeing you in the library and Rec Center.