Facilities amongst best in the nation

Bill Mason, Cat Tran Driver (Brown hair) Dennis Cady, Cat Tran Driver (black and white striped shirt) AJ Dowgiert, Cat Tran Driver (Plaid/Checkered Shirt)

McKale Center

The newly renovated McKale Center offers state-of-the-art amenities not only for the men’s basketball program, but also women’s hoops, gymnastics and volleyball. The latest upgrades include enhanced lighting and video boards, improved seating and new locker rooms for athletes—and the dividends are paying off. Already one of the top home courts in college basketball, the Arizona men have not lost in McKale for over two seasons. And late last season, the Wildcats gained the longest home winning streak in college hoops. The McKale Center is not only the jewel of Tucson, but the jewel of the entire Pac-12 Conference.

Arizona Stadium

Arizona Stadium, with its recently added Lowell-Stevens Facility, now ranks among the nicer football venues on the West Coast. Lowell-Stevens provides Rich Rodriguez and his staff a shiny weight room and better training resources. Fans have also benefited in recent years with the north end-zone expansion, which added premium seating as well as a club concourse area. Last season, Arizona Stadium saw its fair share of special moments, none sweeter than a Territorial Cup victory that clinched the Pac-12 South title. Maybe one day, the stadium will even serve as home to a Rose Bowl trophy.

Hi Corbett Field

Not many college baseball programs can boast that they play on a field grazed by legends like Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle, yet that is the case for the Wildcats, who moved to Hi Corbett Field back in 2012. Once the spring training home of the Cleveland Indians and Colorado Rockies, no major or minor league teams now occupy the facility. That gives the UA full use of the stadium, and in the Wildcats’ inaugural season at Hi Corbett, they won the Pac-12 Championship before winning the NCAA title a few weeks later. Talk about a housewarming party.

Tucson Convention Center Arena

Arizona ice hockey surprisingly has one of the nicer facilities in the Tucson Convention Center. Many fall weekends, the TCC Arena is converted into an ice rink that can fit over 6,000 fans. People in Southern Arizona can get their hockey fix, and if the action on the rink doesn’t satisfy, the arena offers all types of concessions, including beer. The UA hockey team, formerly known as the “Icecats,” aren’t affiliated with Arizona Athletics but still run a well-organized program, albeit one that has struggled to win many games the past few seasons.

Hillenbrand Stadium

While Arizona is known for its rabid basketball fan base, the softball program has its own group of devotees, who all flock to Hillenbrand Stadium. UA softball is constantly among the nation’s leaders in attendance and it’s no surprise why, given the close seating Hillenbrand provides. Of course, the players have it pretty nice as well, especially after the recent addition of Lapan Family Center. The facility gives softball its own plush lockers as well as a room to showcase the program’s eight national championships. One would like to think that Drake’s “Trophies” plays as soon as anyone walks in.