Women’s track continues to turn heads in LA

The Arizona track and field team stood against more than 20 colleges at Drake Stadium in Westwood, Calif., this weekend and showed that it can compete with the best. This was the biggest meet of Arizona’s season, and the Wildcats continued to make impressive marks against some of the nation’s top competition.

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, there were two teams with professional runners present, and Arizona was able to place second to a team that featured Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix as its anchor.

“”They didn’t beat us by a lot; we actually did pretty good,”” said redshirt sophomore Echos Blevins, who ran the relay as well as the 200m and 400m. “”We didn’t run as fast as we did last weekend, but overall we did pretty good.””

The women continued to impress throughout the weekend. Redshirt freshman Georganne Moline added another milestone to her career when she came in first in the women’s 400m hurdles with a time of 59.09. She now has the sixth fastest time in UA history and has yet to lose a race in her event.

Freshmen Julie Labonte and Alyssa Hasslen took first and second in the women’s shot put, throwing 53 feet, 3 inches and 51 feet, 1/4 inch, respectively.

Two women high jumpers also swept their event, as freshman Brigetta Barrett finished first and senior Jasmin Day came in second.

While the rest of the team was in California, three women went to Tempe to compete in the ASU Sun Angel classic. Sophomores Ariel Coleman, Jordan Ronstadt and redshirt sophomore Rebecca Nelson competed in the 400m hurdles.

Coleman came in 23rd with a time of 1:04.63, Ronstadt finished 29th with a time of 1:08.49 and Nelson placed 20th with a time of 1:03.49.

The men once again showcased their strength during the weekend. Korion Morris won the men’s shot put invite with a throw of 55 feet, 4 1/4 inches, making this his second consecutive win this season.

Redshirt freshman Nico Reaves bounced back after last week and ran a time of 47.99 in the men’s open 400m. This earned him first place and was one of his best times of the year.

Freshman Jake Harris ran at the Sun Angel Classic and came in 28th place in the men’s 110m hurdles with a time of 15.35.