The Homecoming Parade brings family, friends and fun to UA Mall

Lauren Bookwalter
Members of the Pride of Arizona Marching Band line up on the UA Mall during the 2019 Homecoming Parade on Nov. 2.

The Homecoming Parade took over the University of Arizona Mall at 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 2. Faculty, students and UA alumni came together to celebrate the school and enjoy the creative floats that paraded down the Mall. 

RELATED: Standout plays from Oregon State’s rout of Arizona football

Spectators watched as floats representing various clubs, prominent people and Greek Life participated in the parade. Some participants were Camp Wildcat, Alpha Kappa Psi, the Alumni Band and Miss Arizona. Past Homecoming kings and queens sat on cars that drove through the parade. The Homecoming High Court of 2019 were also in attendance. 

A child marches with the University of Arizona Department of East Asian Studies in the 2019 Homecoming Parade on Nov. 2.

“[I came] to hang out with my friends and come back and to enjoy Homecoming, because it’s so much fun,” 2002 alumna Denise Sicheneder said. “There is so much going on with Homecoming.”

This is the sixth year that Sicheneder has attended the Homecoming Parade, and she said she has loved it each time. 

“[The best thing about Homecoming is] the community, the different groups that are a part of it. I was in Greek Life, so we were a part of it in Greek Life,” Sicheneder said. “It’s just fun and all about the school spirit.” 

Sicheneder said she participated in the parade when she was in the sorority Chi Omega. She remembered she loved making the floats and getting to ride the floats during the parade. 

Jonathan Muhler was one of the current students that participated in the parade. Muhler rode the float for Arizona Model United Nations. 

“This is the first time I’ve been in the parade,” Muhler said. “It’s really cool to see all the alumni and all the little kids, future wildcats, out here. I’m from the East Coast and we don’t have anything like this where I’m from. This is really cool because it reminds me of the Thanksgiving parade. It’s cool to see everyone here.”

UA student Katie Cote shows off her wildcat pride during the 2019 Homecoming Parade on Nov. 2.

Emily Monreal is a member of the greek organization Alpha Kappa Psi. Monreal is the vice president of alumni and oversees the organization’s participation in Homecoming. Monreal was a spectator of the parade a few times as a little girl and has now attended the parade in college two years in a row. 

“[As a college student], you definitely appreciate it more because you get to see your friends in the parade,” Monreal said.

RELATED: Club cheerleading team prepares for their first Homecoming Parade

Monreal said she loves the Homecoming Parade and seeing the school come together. 

“[My favorite part is] everyone getting together and seeing our alumni from our organization,” Monreal said. “It’s just pretty cool having this atmosphere and having everyone just come and see the parade.”

Monreal hopes to attend the parade next year even after she has graduated. 

Follow Lauren Bookwalter on Twitter