White Papers in today

Today represents the first of three major steps that will try to correct UA’s budget issues and which may radically change the way the university works.

White Paper Proposals, the rough drafts of final proposals that will be submitted to the Faculty Senate on Dec. 15., are entered today to the Provost’s Office.

According to the provost Web site, the 3- to 4-page proposals are being drafted by appointed teams and deans of departments, as well as four intercollegiate teams from liberal arts, area studies, health-related fields and science, technology and engineering units. A Transformation Coordinating Committee in the Provost’s Office will assist parties in determining five important effects of their proposals: on students, faculty, staff, business practices and external relations. Proposals may be revised, revamped and rejected in this phase of the process. Proposals will be viewable online soon after today, according to an e-mail from Provost Meredith Hay.

The proposals, which aim to trim nearly $20 million, may include realignment, integration or termination of several colleges.

Adding to the budget concerns, President Shelton released a memorandum Friday stating that until further notice there is a hiring freeze for all positions funded by state or locally allocated sources. According to the memo, spring course offerings will not be affected.

Look for further coverage of the hiring freeze and its impact in tomorrow’s Arizona Daily Wildcat.