Police Beat: October 15

In plain sight

University of Arizona Police Department officers arrested a UA student for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in a residence hall on Oct. 4 at about 10:25 p.m.

A resident assistant called UAPD after finding marijuana in a student’s room. When officers arrived, the RA took them to the room, where another RA was waiting with the student.

When the officers entered the room, they saw two mason jars of marijuana on the student’s desk.
The student said he had been in his room with the door slightly open when he heard a knock. He tried to hide the jars inside his desk, but his RA walked in and saw them.

The student told officers he bought his marijuana off-campus and smoked every other day. He had bought 11 grams for $110 two days before.

He also handed officers a small pill bottle with marijuana in it that he said was used in a vaporizer, though the vaporizer was broken so he no longer had it. He would not tell officers who sold him the marijuana.

Officers searched the room, but found no more contraband.

The student was arrested, cited and released. A code of conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

Horse play

A resident assistant from Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall called the University of Arizona Police Department, at 11:26 a.m. on Oct. 7, to report a fight between two UA students.

A UAPD officer met with one of the students and the RA, who told the officer the student present was the victim who had been “choked out.”

However, the student told the officer they were playing around and people had blown the situation out of proportion. The officer also contacted the other student who also said they were just playing around.

An informal code of conduct was forwarded to the Dean of Students.

No-return policy

A UA employee called UAPD on Oct. 8 to report a lost Apple laptop.

The employee told the officer that a now-retired UA professor lost the laptop sometime in September 2012. The employee emailed the retired professor to congratulate him on his retirement and to ask that he return the department’s Mac Book Pro that he was assigned.

The retired professor told the employee that the laptop was lost more than a year ago. The 2011 computer originally cost the department $1,406.43 but was currently valued at $562.62.

There was no further information on the lost laptop.

– Follow Micah Montiel @MicahMontiel