New season and new opportunities; A clean record allows Jedd Fisch to keep last season in the past

Marison Bilagody

University of Arizona head football coach Jedd Fisch watches his players as they run a play at Arizona Stadium on April 9, 2022. Fisch is entering his second year as head coach of the Wildcats.

Hopes were high last season with bringing a new head coach into the program but the Arizona football team quickly realized that it was a year of rebuilding. Jedd Fisch is a highly respected man having coached in the NFL and previously coached at a collegiate level. 

The team appeared to hit a wall, only securing one win last season. Arizona finished 1-11 overall but broke the longest active losing streak on Nov. 6, 2021, against the University of California, Berkeley. It will go down in history being the first day in 763 days that the Wildcats won a football game. The final score was 10-3, ending in the student section rushing the field to celebrate the team. 

The students would like to have this feeling of victory again. A preview into the upcoming season consists of a top recruitment class that will hopefully change Arizona’s fate. This year, Arizona signed four-star, Tetairoa McMillan. According to 247Sports, McMillan is ranked No. 2 in the Pac-12 and No. 51 in the nation. As a wide receiver, he should serve as a large threat to the other teams, hopefully securing us some much-needed points. 

Arizona tied down Jayden De Laura, a transfer from Washington State. De Laura was named Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year 2021. He is quick and sees the field, and he will be a useful asset in future games. 

Fisch signed a 22-man high school class and took seven transfer portal players, creating a deep roster of highly recruited athletes. This upcoming season is looking bright. The football field was torn up this summer and was replaced with new turf as well as new locker rooms. 

The first game of the season is against San Diego State University on Sept. 3. Last year Arizona lost 38-14 against SDSU. In hopes of revenge, Arizona has been training extremely hard leading up to this game. The following two games after the SDSU game should be interesting considering that Arizona didn’t play them last year. 

With a new regime, field and locker room, the team is ready to go.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter