Cat Tracks

Trending Up

Gun control: A gunman held four firefighters hostage in Georgia on Wednesday. Regardless of the gunman’s motive, the incident should put more pressure on Congress to come up with a plan for stricter gun control. According to Slate, from the the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown, Conn., through March 28, there have been 3,356 gun-related deaths in the U.S. With President Barack Obama fighting to establish background checks for potential gun owners and a ban on assult weapons, you have to wonder how there still hasn’t been anything done about gun control.

Kim Jong-un, the meme: Yes, there is still the threat of North Korea attempting to start World War III, but it seems like people are taking Kim Jong-un’s threats less and less seriously. Although North Korea has the fifth-largest military in the world, its equipment is outdated. So while fewer Americans worry that their house will be blown up by a North Korean missile, more internet memes making fun of Kim Jong-un pop up by the day.

Trending Down

Grades: With finals coming up, grades are trending down. We all hate finals, but this time of year brings up the bigger question of whether finals are really an accurate measure of a student’s performance. If schools are serious about education reform, then they should look into administering more minor tests and quizzes throughout the semester instead of just one or two big exams, so that students are more prepared for their actual careers.

Unpaid summer internships: As the semester winds down, everyone is eagerly anticipating the sunny, relaxing days of summer. That is, everyone who doesn’t have a summer internship. For those who do, the prospect of beginning a summer of work, probably without getting paid, screams of injustice. The logic behind taking unpaid internships is that they’ll give a student the resources and experience to land a good job. However, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that 60 percent of graduates from the class of 2012 with paid internships received at least one job offer, while only 37 percent of graduates with unpaid internships got an offer. Just a little something for unpaid interns to keep in mind while they slave away.