“Throwers, jumpers to compete in Triton invite”

Nicole Lloyd prepares to hurl the shot put during the April 5 Jim Click Shootout at Drachman Stadium.

The Arizona track and field teams will be at the Triton Invitational at UC-San Diego this weekend but only a portion of the throwers and distance-jumpers will be competing.

“”This meet is set up for big throws and long horizontal jumps,”” said UA head coach Fred Harvey. “”We will be trying to secure higher rankings in an area that helps (qualify for) regionals.””

Harvey said the top-five finishers automatically qualify and expects his team to have a strong performance.

UA throwers Shawn Best and Zack Lloyd have the top-two marks in the country, while junior Nicole Lloyd set a personal record with a 52-foot throw last week.

Harvey said the horizontal jumpers will also have a strong meet as, “”They have been gearing up for this weekend for a long time.””

Athletes to practice on mall for African aid

Arizona athletes will be taking their practice outdoors to the UA Mall this Sunday.

Athletes from the various varsity teams including the men’s basketball, men’s and women’s track and field, gymnastics and volleyball teams – as well as athletes from club teams such as the TriCats and the wheelchair basketball teams – will be holding two one-hour, non-extraneous “”practice”” sessions between 3 p.m. Sunday and 3 p.m. Tuesday as part of the 48-hour practice to benefit the Blood: Water Mission.

The Blood:Water Mission is a non-profit organization founded by members of the band, Jars of Clay, and provides clean water to areas of Africa.

“”The 48-hour practice is working to help build 1,000 clean water wells in 1,000 African communities,”” said Marquita Taylor, a former UA track and field athlete and currently a member of Athletes in

Action, which is sponsoring the event in association with the
    Student Athlete Advisory Council.

“”Students and sponsors can donate money towards the project,”” she said adding that just $1 can give a person clean water for a year.

Taylor said she got the idea from the University of Wisconsin, which has currently raised $6,045 this year, according to their Web site.

“”(Wisconsin has) been very successful the past couple of years and I think that it can be successful here,”” Taylor said. “”It just goes to show the well-roundedness of student athletes.””