Five students on top model list

Dance junior Danielle Baker is one of five UA students to advance in Style 2 Fashions Arizonas Top Model TV segment. Competitors said the event has helped them to explore modeling careers.
    Dance junior Danielle Baker is one of five UA students to advance in Style 2 Fashion’s ‘Arizona’s Top Model’ TV segment. Competitors said the event has helped them to explore modeling careers.

Five UA students are competing against seven other Arizonans for the title of Arizona’s Top Model of 2007.

Out of eight UA aspiring models, actresses and dancers who participated in the “”Style 2 Fashion”” segment called “”Arizona’s Top Model Search,”” five made it into the top 12 interview challenge winners last week. There are 20 models still left in the competition.

The five UA students who made it into the top 12 are Christine Vogt, Cristina Peerenboom, Maili Alvarado, Shaka Guthridge and Danielle Baker.

Baker, a dance junior, said she chose to participate in the event because of the opportunity to get publicity, which will help her in the future.

“”Modeling is definitely not my main focus, but to audition for different roles, they need headshots and photo sheets, so modeling becomes important,”” Baker said. “”It’s just the nature of the whole entertainment business.””

“”Arizona’s Top Model Search”” is a new reality TV show segment broadcast on local CW Television Network stations that pits models against each other in fashion challenges and photo shoots.

Models then move on to the next round of challenges after viewers vote for the models they want to see proceed, and the winner of the competition is named Arizona’s Top Model of 2007.

“”The show is a way to bring the local talents to the attention of the community,”” said Tamara Mack, host and organizer of “”Style 2 Fashion”” and “”Arizona’s Top Model Search.”” “”We are bringing the models to the clients and hires to the girls.””

Alvarado, a biology junior, said she was glad she was chosen for the next round of challenges – although she was hesitant to participate in the event in the first place.

“”I’m not really going into it to model, I’m doing it to get to know the people in the field and because it’s something new for me,”” Alvarado said.

Baker also said she was excited when she was chosen because of the great opportunity it provided.

“”I did it for the experience, I’ve done modeling things in the past, stuff in Florida, I just had nothing to lose and I make great connections for after I graduate,”” Baker said.

One of the first challenges was an interview with a panel of five judges and a runway walk.

The panel included professional models, fashion designers, fashion photographers, magazine writers and even a finalist from “”America’s Next Top Model.””

“”Modeling comes with the territory,”” Baker said. “”I enjoy being in front of the camera, it helps me loosen up and it relaxes me. It’s like a stress relief.””

However, the amount of aspiring models who turned out was less than expected, Baker said.

Mack said 75 women applied through online registration, but about 28 showed up for the event.

“”We are hoping to pick up the girls who didn’t show up later in season two of the show,”” Mack said.

But Erica Wienzveg, a journalism senior who participated in the selection, said the event was unorganized and there weren’t enough participants.

“”There were no girls from Phoenix or Flagstaff,”” Wienzveg said. “”It was embarrassing; a lot of the girls were overweight, or had acne; it was a joke.””

Though the majority of girls were from Tucson, Mack said two Phoenix girls showed up, and there were other girls from Southern Arizona.

Wienzveg said while the show helped her get contact information for future jobs, it wasn’t accessible to enough viewers.

“”It’s a Tucson show played only in Tucson; it would be better to call it the local Tucson catwalk show,”” Wienzveg said.

The “”Arizona’s Top Model Search”” segment airs on “”Style 2 Fashion”” Fridays at 11 p.m. on CW.