Volleyball gets first win of season

Darien Bakas

Arizona outside hitter Kalei Mau (10) spikes the ball in the match against Southern Methodist University on Friday, Sept. 3.

The Arizona women’s volleyball team took their first straight-set victory this afternoon to open the Wildcat Classic after getting swept last weekend at the Wahine Invitational in Honolulu, Hawaii.

They improved their record to 1-3 after defeating the Alabama State Hornets 3-0.

The Wildcats dominated and took the victory by the scores of 25-12 in the first set, 25-14 in the second and 25-12 in the third set.

Sophomore, Kendra Dahlke and senior, Kartina Pilepic led the Arizona Wildcats with a total of 10 kills making an impressive .480 hitting percentage in the first set giving Arizona a 1-0 lead.

Junior, McKenzie Jacobson had five kills in the second set giving the Wildcats a clear advantage overall. Dahlke added to her six kills in the first set with another six in the second set.

Arizona made their way into the third set ending in a victory 25-14, taking the 2-0 lead against the Hornets.

Dahlke continued to lead Arizona ending with 18 kills on a .500 hitting and,in addition, two blocks and eight digs.

The Wildcats finished the match in the third set with a 25-12 victory.

The Wildcats will play again tonight against Southern Methodist University at 7 p.m. and Pepperdine on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter