Epic entertainment everywhere

Sheldon Smith
    Sheldon Smith/Arizona Daily Wildcat

It’s easy to think of the UA campus as simply where you go to class or sleep away your day, but there are ample opportunities for entertainment on campus as well. Whether you’re in the mood for comedy or tragedy, video games or real-life competition, student or professional performances, there’s something to hold your interest within walking distance of your freshman algebra class. Here are some of your options:

At the Student Union Memorial Center:

Gallagher Theater
    On the west side of the food court is the UA’s very own movie theater. Recently released movies are shown weekly and special events, like guest speakers and indie film premiers, are easy to come by. The Charles Darwin Experience, a comedy improv troupe, performs free shows there every Tuesday at 10:10 p.m.

The Cellar Games Room
    In the basement of SUMC is the Games Room, with pool tables, a snooker table, ping pong tables, arcade games and Wii games. The Cellar Games Room is open 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, and 10 a.m. to midnight the rest of the week. It’s cheaper with more people in your group, and even cheaper with your CatCard. There are also weekly pool, poker and Xbox tournaments.

The Cellar Bistro
    Right across from the Cellar Games Room is the Cellar Bistro — a restaurant and mini-performance venue. The Bistro hosts The Comedy Corner every Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. with other occasional events, including concerts, benefit shows and poetry readings.

Preacher/Student Debates
    If you’re lucky, you might witness one or more students engaging this man in a civilized, philosophical shouting match.

At Park Student Union:

CODE Gaming Lounge
    Right next to the east entrance of the Park Student Union, this gamer’s haven has all the major consoles and a good selection of games. Single player rates are $2 per hour or $1 if you bring your own game and controller.

KAMP Student Radio
    The KAMP Radio studio is on the southwest corner of the PSU courtyard. It’s a student-run radio station, and one of the partners within Arizona Student Media. Listen to the station’s broadcast on the speakers outside, or go in for a visit and see how college radio works.

Around campus:

Centennial Hall
    When top-billing artists, plays, musicals or personages come to UA, they’re presented in Centennial Hall. Events are scheduled throughout the academic year, and range from hip-hop concerts to guest lectures by Nobel laureates. Tickets are available at the box office or online through UA Presents.

Holsclaw Hall
    This School of Music building, located near the northwest corner of campus, hosts musical performances, such as the annual Tucson Guitar Festival, student recitals and resident musicians. Some shows are free, while others might run $30 or more for professional acts. They can be purchased from the Fine Arts Box Office inside Marroney Theatre.

Marroney Theatre
    Located just north of Holsclaw Hall and across from the Center for Creative Photography, this theater features student performances of everything from Shakespeare to Sondheim. The Fine Arts Box office inside the theater is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., as well as one hour before performances. Student tickets are cheap, so go support your fellow Wildcats in their creative endeavors.