Arizona Wildcats football players get recognized after win at Cal

On Tuesday, Athlon Sports named Arizona linebacker Scooby Wright the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week following his success at California.

In Saturday’s 33-28 win over the Golden Bears, Wright had 11 tackles, three tackles for loss, both career highs. He also had his first half-sack.

“I worked pretty hard, and I set my goals pretty high,” Wright said at Monday’s press conference.
Wright also teamed with junior safety Jared Tevis to tackle Cal running back Darren Ervin for a three-yard loss in the end zone. That was Arizona’s first safety since 2010.

“It was pretty cool going back home and seeing all of my friends, family, coaches and teachers,” said Wright, who is from Windsor, Calif. “Getting that win on Cal’s home field was pretty special.”

In other Wildcat award news, senior kicker Jake Smith was named College Football Performance Awards Honorable Mention Specialist Performer of the Week. Smith set a career record with a 53-yard field goal, was successful on all four PATs he attempted and averaged 58.8 yards a kickoff.

Smith just missed a 55-yard field goal.

“Hopefully, they will let me try more; that was the biggest thing about it,” Smith said at Monday’s press conference. “I love the opportunity to be out there and give the coaches confidence in me.”

Finally, senior Terrence Miller was named College Football Performance Awards Honorable Mention Tight End Performer of the Week. Miller had five catches for 88 yards, including a career-long 60-yard reception.

“We run that play in practice quite often,” Miller said at Monday’s press conference. “I was just trying to treat it the same way. Normally, I just try to get behind one of my big blockers and let them throw a block at one of the DBs. Once you get into the open field, then it’s just pedal to the metal.”

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520