Calendar

Today

Tucson Symphony Orchestra: Romance & Rachmaninoff – If you just saw “”Eastern Promises”” and are still interested in Russian fare, you should attend this symphony of Russian composers Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff. It might not be as cool as seeing a naked Viggo Mortensen stab two men to death in a sauna, but not much is. 8 p.m. Starting at $18. Tucson Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave.

Gentlemen’s Art – This exhibition at Zoe Botique features two UA seniors, Andrew Shuta and Matt Meko. So while you’re shopping for a designer top with lots of expensive squiggles all over it, you can pretend you’re an art aficionado, as well. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Free. Zoe Botique, 735 N. Fourth Ave.

Tomorrow

Gogol Bordello – This gypsy punk Russian band from New York is definitely one of the more bizarre outfits to pass by Tucson. A journalist with the Hartford Courant described lead singer Eugene Hütz’s voice as “”somewhere between that of Borat and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.”” Plus, the band incorporates minor-key accordion and the fiddle. 8 p.m. $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Ann Fessler book signing and lecture – This woman wrote a book called “”The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wade.”” Sounds kind of cool, but I’m worried the whole thing will turn into an episode of “”Montel”” and they’ll all reunite on stage and cry and hug a lot. Let’s cross our fingers. 5 p.m. Free. Center for Creative Photography

20th-century American Indian painting lecture – It’s strange to think that during the time of Dali and Picasso, there were some paintings out there that focused on subjects other than vaginas made out of flies and masturbatory lions. Come to this lecture and learn about a commonly overlooked era of art. 7 p.m. Free. Marriott University Park, 880 E. Second St., just inside the UA’s Main Gate at Park Avenue and University Boulevard

Saturday

Hot Hot Heat – I only know this band because that “”Bandages”” song reminds me of Frank Herbert’s “”Dune.”” It really sounds like the chorus is “”Bene Gess, Bene Gesserit,”” but it’s probably because my mom hit my head with a shovel when I was a kid. 8 p.m. $16 in advance, $18 at the door. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Alfred Hitchcock’s “”The Birds”” – It almost seems pointless to pay $8 for a movie you’ve already seen on a projector in high school, but then you learn it’s at the Fox Theatre. Don’t the photos of the inside of this place look awesome? It’s only open a few times a month, and to the best of my knowledge all it does is play “”Some Like it Hot”” over and over again. This may be your only chance for something different. 7:30 p.m. $8. The Fox Theatre, 17 W. Congress St.

The Ghostbusters Spooktacular – The Arizona Ghostbusters, most likely a bunch of dorky Bob Dobbs guys who like to dress up in costume, will lead the audience in a Ghostbusters sing-a-long and perform a ghostbusting on the Loft’s resident ghost. Come for the off-chance that you can see a grown man dressed up like Slimer. 7 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Sunday

The End of the Atheistic Empire: Christian Resurgence in Russia – Although this lecture is at a church, it seems educational and almost secular. It’s about the revival of Christianity in post-Soviet Russia and is being put on by Russian and Slavic studies professor John Garrard and his wife, Carol. 10-11 a.m. Free. Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 1200 N. Campbell Ave.

Monday

Gwen Stefani – Is she hip or not? I never can tell these days. She wears cool clothes, but, then again, so does Amy Winehouse. I guess the test is if she has an Ed Banger remix floating around somewhere. Probably not. 7:30 p.m. $55-125. Casino Del Sol’s AVA, 5655 W. Valencia Road

Tuesday

And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – This band has been compared to groups such as Sonic Youth and The Who, mostly because the members destroy their instruments at the end of their shows. Mostly Bears and The Holy Rolling Empire will open. Doors open at 8 p.m. $12 in advance, $14 at the door. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

48-Hour Film Shootout Awards Screening – This is like the First Friday Shorts, but more intensive and with more chances to make fun of people. Filmmaking teams had two days to create an entire movie and throw in a required prop, line of dialogue and a character name. 7 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Wednesday

Halloween Concert with Sexy Cage Dancers – Halloween is supposed to be trashy, so this is your only chance to go to The Rock and not be embarrassed about it. Plus, the show will have bands with names like Sanity in Death and HeadtRIP, whatever that means. 6:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. $7 pre-sale. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.

A Halloween Music Spooktacula – This faculty recital will have guest performers and a world premier of “”Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog,”” a musical accompaniment to an emo children’s book that features a little kid with a football face waiting to die after he’s eaten a raw hot dog. Patrick Neher, singers Grayson Hirst and Betty Allen, and pianist Michael Dauphinais will perform. 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall, School of Music building, 1017 N. Olive Road

compiled by Andi Berlin