UA track set to host Jim Click Shootout

Now easing into the outdoor season, the Arizona track team is eager to compete at the highest level ever hosted at Roy P. Drachman Stadium as the Wildcats host the Jim Click Shootout this weekend.

“Jim Click is going to be a fun meet, we have all our athletes competing in their specialties,” said track and field head coach Fred Harvey.

Among the attendees this year are challenging schools from all over the country, including Miami, Clemson, Penn State and Ohio State.

“This is where we start building to April, which is what I like to call the championship portion of the season,” Harvey said. “It’s preparation for some of the bigger invitationals.”

Harvey said most athletes prefer the outdoor season and that results in better performances. The addition of more events and a healthy roster will set the stage for a highly anticipated outdoor season for the Wildcats.

Junior hurdler Georganne Moline medically redshirted last December after tearing her PCL. Week-by-week diagnoses led Moline to sit out the entire indoor season. She will participate in her specialty event, the 400-hurdles, this weekend for the first time in a year.

“She is definitely someone to look out for these next few months,” Harvey said. “She’ll be a great addition to the team.”

A home-field advantage is ideal for the coaches to gauge the rest of the season and where each athlete stands.

“From a coach’s standpoint, there’s no question being home is an advantage,” Harvey said. “We are able to keep a routine of rest and study, train longer into the week and not have to worry about flying or hotels.”

Junior high jumpers Nick Ross and Brigetta Barrett are looking to carry confidence gained from the indoor season to the outdoor arena.

“For me it’s about staying confident yet humble,” Barrett said. “You never have the perfect jump so it’s about improving each time and taking full advantage of every practice.”

A new high jumping pit in Arizona has Ross eager to try out a new jumping approach in hopes of increasing his mark as Barrett prepares to defend her title.

“Being at home is great,” Ross said. “It’s about having your fans come out and support. I’m looking to improve my performance with every jump.”

The men’s events begin Thursday and lasts through Saturday. Women’s events will run from Saturday through Monday.

“This weekend really kicks off the season,” Harvey said. “We’re looking to hit the ground running and compete right away.”