Police Beat: February 13

Don’t eat the fish

A UA student was arrested on a charge of underage drinking near the Park Student Union on Feb. 7 at 12:40 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to investigate an intoxicated man in front of Coronado Residence Hall after receiving a call. The officer witnessed the student trip over the traffic circle by Coronado and fall down, and then approached him.

The officer noticed the student had a strong smell of alcohol, red and watery eyes and difficulty walking and speaking. The student had to be propped up against a wall to keep him from falling over.

As the officer was talking to the student, he abruptly puked; at that point, UA Emergency Medical Services and the Tucson Fire Department were called.

However, the student kept insisting that he had not been drinking and was not drunk and said his current condition and vomiting were due to “eating bad sushi.”

Despite his protests, the student was still cited for minor in possession and handed over to a sober friend to be looked after.

Date dash disasters

A UA student was referred to the Dean of Students Office for urinating in public and for underage drinking on Feb. 7 at 11 p.m.

A UAPD officer was monitoring a date dash at the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma when she noticed two women behind the house. One of the two had her skirt pulled up and was squatting down, urinating.

After the student finished, the officer approached her. The student claimed that although she lives in the sorority house, she was not allowed to use the bathroom during the date dash.

The officer also noticed that she smelled strongly of alcohol and could not stand without swaying.
The student began crying and admitted she had been drinking. The student was then cited for minor in possession and referred for public urination.

While the officer was dealing with the first student, the officer saw another woman in the parking lot of the sorority house with a Four Loko. Unable to confront the woman, the officer yelled at her to pour out the alcohol.

She did not comply, and the officer once again yelled at her to pour out the contents of the can. About five minutes later, the woman still had the Four Loko, and the officer approached her. When the woman noticed the officer coming toward her, she quickly tossed the can under a nearby truck and told the officer she had just been holding it for a friend.

When asked to identify herself, the woman gave a false last name and claimed to be 22. When the officer told her she was legally obligated to give her real name, the student complied and admitted that she was only 20.

The woman was cited for minor in possession and was diverted to the Dean of Students Office. The officer also told her that if she didn’t pick up the can, she could be cited for criminal littering. The woman retrieved the Four Loko can and left.