Staff picks

By Tim Kosch

No. 8 TCU @ No. 16 BYU

Is it possible for both teams to lose? Look at it this way: if BYU loses and Arizona wins, UA will move up in the BCS rankings. On the other hand, if TCU loses then its shot at the BCS title game is, well, shot. I’m going to pull for TCU to lose this one because, if you’re anything like me, you’re so sick of hearing about how the BCS needs non-BCS schools and a playoff. Plus this game will be just plain boring.

TCU 5, BYU 2

ASU @ STANFORD

Let’s play NCAA football’s version of “”Guess Who.”” The card I picked is “”ASU,”” for you to correctly guess this card you should ask any of the following questions: Is your card a bad team? Does your card have ugly colors? Does your card have a stadium that’s falling apart? Does your card have a boring and below-average offense? Did your card win a game last week by nothing short of the luckiest miracle of all time? Will your card lose to Stanford this weekend? Yes? You’re ASU!

Stanford 27, ASU 13

UCLA @ No. 22 Arizona

On a national scale, Arizona has snuck onto the scene. UA students and a few select “”T-Loc’s”” know how good this team is, but the rest of the country is a little late to catch on. Now, out of nowhere, UA (and Nick Foles) is starting to get some love. The question now moves from “”Can they get any national attention?”” to “”Can they keep the national attention from getting to their heads?”” The answer is yes, and in a big way.

Arizona 38, UCLA 16

By Vincent Balistreri

The winner of this game may decide the Mountain West Champion, but this one is a tough one to call. So when in doubt, go south. Everybody knows that them country boys know how to play football better than everybody else. So since TCU is in Forth Worth, Texas, the Horn Frogs will head to Provo to show BYU how they do it in the south.

TCU 24, BYU 17

Stanford is coming off a tough game against Arizona that they felt they should have won, and ASU is sitting comfortable at 4-2 despite losing Rudy Carpenter to graduation. But ASU’s defense can blame Arizona for what Toby Gerhart is about to do to them. He’s a beast every game, but I could only imagine what he plays like after two straight losses.

Stanford 42, ASU 28

As one of the people that said Arizona didn’t have a quarterback in the days when the coaches couldn’t figure out who to start, Nick Foles is making me eat my words by the day. People outside of Arizona probably would pick USC’s Matt Barkley or Washington’s Jake Locker over Foles as the best quarterback in the Pac-10, but as Jay-Z often says, “”Men lie, women lie but numbers don’t.”” Arizona will send UCLA home with a loss and a memo to USC that simply says, “”Dec. 5.””

Arizona 33 UCLA 24

By Mike Schmitz

The battle of the Mountain West’s best; say that five times fast. TCU is simply the all-around better team in this matchup. Not only will they win the game, they will also take home the “”most ridiculous mascot”” award in a landslide. What is a horned frog anyway? For those of you who care, the horned frog actually originated in South America (mainly Argentina) and is known as the Pac-Man Frog, according to peteducation.com. Anyway, TCU in a close one.

TCU 28, BYU 20

The Stanford Cardinal already lost to one Arizona football team this season. Will ASU make it two? The Devils are coming off of a big win against Washington but will run into the train that is Toby Gerhart. But lets talk about the Cardinals that people in the Grand Canyon State really care about. Kurt Warner vs. Eli Manning on Sunday Night Football, it doesn’t get much better than that. AZ Cardinals 27, NY Giants 21. Oh, and the Stanford Cardinal should get a win as well.

Stanford 31, ASU 28

If this matchup were on the basketball court it may be a potential hardwood classic, but on the football field, it’s not so glamorous. UCLA has dropped its last three games and is 0-3 in Pac-10 play. Don’t expect that trend to change with Arizona football savior Nick Foles and the Arizona offense continuing to roll. If the Wildcats start off hot, this one could be over by halftime.

Arizona 34, UCLA 10