Awareness week to break stereotypes

In an effort to break molds and stereotypes, the ASUA’s Pride Alliance is hoping to bring awareness to the UA community this week.

“”Sometimes, with the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) community, people only focus on the sexuality aspect of everything,”” said Chase Sutton, a sophomore majoring in political science and psychology. “”These events are to help show we are more than our sexuality. We have other identities too, like our race and religion.””

It’s a great opportunity to challenge a stereotype.

– Cathy Busha,
    director,
    LGBTQ Affairs

Pride Alliance has been working alongside the LGBTQ community since the beginning of the semester and even into last semester planning events for the week to raise consciousness about the community, said Cathy Busha, director of LGBTQ Affairs.

“”It’s a great opportunity to challenge a stereotype,”” Busha said. “”LGBTQ in this and every community sometimes feel they have to choose between things like being a Christian and being LGBTQ. This is really to help show them they don’t have to.””

Among the events planned are discussion panels, films and other forums that will be used in hopes of engaging LGBTQ students and faculty alike to interact and break stereotypes.

“”We have worked with a lot of different organizations and through that we have gotten things like a panel on Tuesday talking about LGBTQ individuals who are of different races and religions,”” Sutton said. “”We even have Wednesday set up to watch ‘Dearly Beloved,’ about the 2004 marriages in San Francisco since Feb. 14 is freedom to marry day.””

The main purpose of these events is to help anyone understand that there is more to members of the LGBTQ community than their sexuality, Sutton said. Identity is an important part of the coming out process, and each person is more than his or her sexuality.

“”We really want people to kind of understand and learn more to support to community and ultimately realize that we have other identities and we relate to different groups of people through those identities,”” Sutton said.