A closer look at Arizona football’s season opener loss

Mike Christy

Arizona Wildcats wide receiver Jamarye Joiner (10) roars after his wide open touchdown during the Arizona Wildcats vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors college football game on Aug. 24. 2019, at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, HI.

Photo by Mike Christy / Arizona Athletics

The vintage Khalil Tate is back, ladies and gentlemen. But he’s better than he has been in past years.

Tate, who relied heavily on his arm in the 2018 season, and heavily on his legs in the 2017 season seemed to combine both in the 45-38 loss to Hawai’i on Aug. 24.

Tate racked up 108 yards on 13 carries, he also had 361 passing yards on 22-for-39 passing, with three touchdowns and two interceptions. Stanley Berryhill III had three catches for 92 yards and a touchdown, specifically the one that tied the game up at 35-35 with 0:51 left in the third quarter. Converted quarterback-to-wide receiver Jamarye Joiner had four catches for 72 yards and a touchdown as well. 

RELATED: Arizona football drops season opener to Hawai’i in a game of catch-up

For Hawai’i, Cedric Byrd II was almost unstoppable. He racked up 224 yards receiving on 14 catches and four touchdowns. Starting quarterback Cole McDonald lasted until about halfway through the third quarter, going 29-for-41 for 378 yards and four touchdowns with four interceptions before being replaced by freshman quarterback Chevan Cordeiro.

Jace Whittaker, who missed every game but one last year, had two interceptions for the Wildcat’s defense who had six turnovers on the night.

The Wildcats struggled heavily against Hawai’i’s run-and-shoot offense but showed flashes with the turnovers. It wouldn’t be enough for the Wildcats as they fell to the Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors 45-38 in the season opener.

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter