This week in Wildcat history

On July 27, 1972, the Summer Wildcat reported that the old Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house was set to be turned into a halfway house for dried-out indigent alcoholics. The building was expected to house 20 to 30 beds with a projected expansion increasing the capacity to between 40 and 50 beds.

On July 29, 1986, the Wildcat reported that the UA Museum of Art had received a $400,000 settlement for the value of a Willem de Kooning painting that was stolen the previous year. “”Woman-Ochre”” was cut from its frame and carried out of the museum. Student guards were later replaced with new guards to patrol the building.

On July 23, 1991, the Wildcat reported that about 2,000 bats roosting in a crevice in Arizona Stadium were allowed to stay under a compromise plan between UA officials and bat advocates. A proposal by the Athletics Department to seal the entire 400-foot long crevice was turned down in favor of sealing half of it.

On July 30, 1997, the Wildcat reported that for two months, the UA would be under the direction of Provost Paul Sypherd. Peter Likins, who served as the president of Lehigh University in Pennsylvania, had been named Arizona’s new president, but asked the Arizona Board of Regents to appoint Sypherd interim president until Likins’ term officially started in October.

– compiled by Lance Madden